Bakary Sako returns to Crystal Palace on short-term deal

Bakary Sako returns to Crystal Palace on short-term deal
Bakary Sako (left) is tackled by Sheffield Wednesday's Tom Lees during the Sky Bet Championship match at The Hawthorns last month

Bakary Sako has returned to Crystal Palace on a short-term deal until the end of the season.

Sako made 50 appearances for Palace between 2015 and 2018, but left last summer when his contract expired and signed a one-year deal with West Brom.

But the 30-year-old forward struggled to make an impact at The Hawthorns, starting only three times, and Albion have agreed to release him from his contract so he can return to Selhurst Park.

"I'm delighted that we've managed to bring Bakary back to Palace," manager Roy Hodgson said. "He's a player with a huge amount of talent and as he showed when he was fully fit last year, he is able to provide a boost to our attacking options.

It's a particularly pleasing signing, because as well as his ability, he knows the club inside out and was such an immensely popular figure among the squad with his positive and upbeat attitude.

"I hope his return will be a major boost as we enter the business end of the season."

Sako will not be eligible for Palace's FA Cup clash with Tottenham on Sunday, but will be charged with helping the club steer clear of relegation as they sit 14th in the Premier League, three points above the drop zone.

West Brom boss Darren Moore said: "Bakary has not played as much football for us as he would have wanted and was eager to take this opportunity in the Premier League.

"We decided it was in everyone's best interests for Bakary to move on. It will allow us to look elsewhere to add to our forward options, which we are working hard to resolve."

- Press Association

More on this topic

‘This isn’t how it should be’ – Solskjaer condemns racist abuse aimed at players‘This isn’t how it should be’ – Solskjaer condemns racist abuse aimed at players

Ilkay Gundogan challenges Manchester City to return to best formIlkay Gundogan challenges Manchester City to return to best form

Football rumours from the mediaFootball rumours from the media

Football rumours from the mediaFootball rumours from the media

More in this Section

Walsh and Smullen the stars of HRI awardsWalsh and Smullen the stars of HRI awards

Duignan becomes new Faithfuls chairDuignan becomes new Faithfuls chair

Kerr hails response  to hotel tragedyKerr hails response to hotel tragedy

Inter crash out after defeat to BarcaInter crash out after defeat to Barca


Lifestyle

Lizzo, Demi Lovato and Ashley Graham are among those prompting us to practise a little more self-love.5 times celebrities reminded us to be body positive in 2019

Wondering about wine for the big day? Leslie Williams has all the options, for every taste and budget.Something from the bar: The perfect drink selections this Christmas

Damon Smith faces the might of the First Order on the exhilarating Star Wars Rise Of The Resistance attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando.Feeling the Force in Florida: Star Wars Rise Of The Resistance attraction opens at Walt Disney World

There’s nothing better than curling up with a good book over the Christmas holidays, says Kya deLongchamps.By the book: Our top home and interiors picks to curl up with over the festive season

More From The Irish Examiner