Islands of Ireland: Window on to Canon Island abbey, bombarded by Cromwell in 1651

Islands of Ireland: Window on to Canon Island abbey, bombarded by Cromwell in 1651
The Augustinian Abbey of Inisgad (Canon’s Island), Fergus Estuary, Co Clare.

As Fintan Ginnane’s gandelow glides along the silky waters of the River Fergus in Co Clare, the river’s islands reveal themselves one after another, some flat and bare, others with such dense tree cover that no patch of green is visible: Illaunbeg; Inismacowney; Inistubrid; Shore Island; Doon Island.

The gandelow slides up the channel east of Inismacowney where individual families had their own jetties and towards our destination: Canon Island (Inisgad).

These islands off the village of Kildysart are just one cluster in the Fergus and Shannon estuaries which together discharge uncountable gallons of water into the Atlantic. There are about 25 islands of various sizes at the confluence.

The gandelows are native to these estuaries and are built to slide effortlessly through the prodigious banks of silt that build up when the tides are low. The tidal range is up to six metres high, so that amounts to a lot of mud. No one lives on Canon Island now, says Fintan. The only activity is from a stray bullock that has been allowed to roam free because it proved too difficult to catch in the woods. Several families did live here once, however.

While Fintan’s father was born on Inismacowney (known locally as Horse Island), his roots also extend to this island with his great grandmother interred in the island’s cemetery. Bridget Ginnane (née Garry) and her family were evicted from their home in Askeaton and settled on Inismacowney.

“She married John Ginnane, my great grandfather. She died in 1867 aged 37 in childbirth,” says Fintan. A tangible past.

The population peaked in 1841 at 54 people and by 1966 the census recorded the island as uninhabited. The predominant names on the island were McMahon, Hastings and Tuohy. The largest family at the turn of the previous century was called Hastings with seven children.

There was no school so the children went by boat to the neighbouring, more populous island, of Inisloe (Low Island) and Inismacowney. One of the last people to live on the island was a noted fiddle player, Morgan MacMahon, “who made his own fiddles and played at dances on the islands”, according to Dolores Meaney and Jackie Elger’s excellent account of these islands, The Islands of the Fergus Estuary.

As we stroll through the trees, the square tower that gives the island its name is seen through a gap in the tree cover: The Abbey of Canon Island, once a centre of ecclesiastical magnitude. A pilgrimage takes place to the island once a year in July where parishioners and visitors remember the past. Boats arrive from Askeaton and Foynes as well as Kildysart for the mass which underlines the links of this island and the others to the hinterland in counties Clare and Limerick.

One of the main windows. Cromwellian soldiers bombarded the abbey in 1651, causing many deaths. Picture: Dan MacCarthy
One of the main windows. Cromwellian soldiers bombarded the abbey in 1651, causing many deaths. Picture: Dan MacCarthy

The abbey was founded by the Canons Regular of St Augustine in 1189 by the king of Munster Dónal Mór O’Brien. Its main buildings are a church, two adjacent chapels, a belfry, a cloister and a large square tower. None of the buildings have roofs any more. A ‘range’ to the east would have had a sacristy, chapter house and sleeping quarters. The south range had a kitchen and refectory. The abbey’s cemetery has several tombs and the abbey itself still has some outstanding features such as its Romanesque windows.

The monastery thrived till the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540 by Henry VIII. By 1577, the abbey and the island were in the ownership of Queen Elizabeth. The abbey was then bombed by Cromwellian forces in 1651 after that benighted individual arrived on these shores. Many monks were killed in the onslaught and the abbey was unable to continue its function.

Several rumours surrounded the aftermath of the attack with the monks’ books and manuscripts said to have been hidden in its walls and their gold transported to Inismacowney. Over the ensuing centuries ownership passed from King James to the earl of Thomond to a Lord Leconfield before the population began to increase and ownership of the land eventually passed to the native families.

  • How to get there: Inquire locally or kayak from the pier at Covraghan Pier, Co Clare.
  • Other: the Islands of the Fergus Estuary, Dolores Meaney and Jackie Elger, Cat Beag Books; www.clarelibrary.ie
  • More on this topic

    Islands of Ireland: Horse, trading, and DrishaneIslands of Ireland: Horse, trading, and Drishane

    Islands of Ireland: Purple patch at monasteryIslands of Ireland: Purple patch at monastery

    The State must buy High Island. It’s a small price to pay for our heritageThe State must buy High Island. It’s a small price to pay for our heritage

    Islands of Ireland: Last Buss to imaginary islandIslands of Ireland: Last Buss to imaginary island

    More in this Section

    This is why Rachel Green’s style is the epitome of Ralph Lauren – as a new collection is announcedThis is why Rachel Green’s style is the epitome of Ralph Lauren – as a new collection is announced

    Cork comedian Andrew Ryan is 'a cross between Ardal O’Hanlon and Ed Byrne'Cork comedian Andrew Ryan is 'a cross between Ardal O’Hanlon and Ed Byrne'

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: Essential eyeliners for a killer lookBeauty is in the eye of the beholder: Essential eyeliners for a killer look

    London Fashion Week: How you’ll dress for the next decadeLondon Fashion Week: How you’ll dress for the next decade


    Latest Showbiz

    The GMB host was speaking at the Royal Television Society’s conference in Cambridge.Piers Morgan denies letting Donald Trump off the hook in interviews

    The designer is a close friend of Meghan's and worked with her on the Smart Set collection.Harry and Meghan ‘in Rome for Misha Nonoo wedding’

    The reality star is the newest celebrity ambassador for WW.Curtis Pritchard shocked by criticism from body shaming trolls

    Cecelia Ahern has revealed that Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank on is board for a new movie on her sequel to her blockbuster P.S. I Love You.Cecelia Ahern reveals movie sequel to 'P.S. I Love You', with Hilary Swank as lead

    More From The Irish Examiner