The wife of a former rising Irish rugby star has been hailed a "hero" after saving the life of a toddler who was choking on food in McDonalds on Friday. writes David Raleigh.
Kate Wallace Daly was eating dinner with her two young children, at the fast food chain outlet on the Ennis Road, Limerick, around 6pm, when she saw the infant girl choking on a piece of meat.
The girl's frantic mother, apparently in shock, watched in horror before Ms Wallace Daly ran from her seat, grabbed the girl, held her over her knee, and sprung the piece of food from her throat.
"I was sitting down with my own two kids and there was another woman next to us with her two kids. Her girl around two years of age," Ms Wallace Daly explained.
"I'd say she just went into shock when she saw her girl. The girl was choking, in a high chair," she said.
Ms Wallace Daly said the child's mother was lifting the girl out of the chair when she raced over, having gained knowledge of the warning signs of young children choking.
She said she acted without delay and had noticed the child was about to loose consciousness.
"She had gone red in the face," said Ms Wallace Daly, who is married to Labour councillor Frankie Daly, a former Irish U-19 rugby player - who before a career ending knee injury - had toured South Africa with former teammates Rob Kearney, Devin Toner, and Fergus McFadden.
"I looked and I knew she was choking. I took her off her mother who was lifting her out of her seat and she was looking at her...I think she just panicked, god love her," Ms Wallace Daly added.
"I cupped my hand and started patting the girl's back, in up and down movements. I'd learned what to do if it ever happened to my own children. I'd be paranoid about that kind of thing," she said.
"I hit her over the back two or three times and a bit of meat was released from her throat."
"The mother was very grateful. She thanked me a few times," she added.
Ms Wallace Daly, who was quick to downplay her heroics, said: "It was just a natural reaction."
"I didn't make a big deal out of it."
"I saw a man looking over as well and I think he was wondering if he should do something. It was very busy at the time. The mother was in shock."
Ms Wallace Daly added: "I don't know first aid or anything, but I had looked up what to do if it happened to any of my own lads."
The 29-year old mother of two from Corbally said she was happy to highlight the incident as, "these things do happen".
"It might be a warning to parents of the dangers," she added.
Another woman who was in the fast food restaurant at the time, described Ms Daly as "heroic".
"She saved that little child's life," they added.