Vigil held in Belfast after Bloody Sunday prosecution decision

A vigil has taken place in Belfast following news that one soldier will be prosecuted over the 1972 Bloody Sunday shootings in Derry.

Thirteen civil rights demonstrators were shot dead on January 30, 1972, on one of the most notorious days of the Northern Ireland Troubles.

Around 100 people gathered at the former site of the Andersonstown police station on Thursday evening to stand in solidarity with the Bloody Sunday families.

Belfast Lord Mayor Deirdre Hargey during the vigil in West Belfast (Niall Carson/PA)
Belfast Lord Mayor Deirdre Hargey during the vigil in West Belfast (Niall Carson/PA)

Many held black flags and pictures of people who had been killed on Bloody Sunday as well as in a 1971 shooting in west Belfast known as the Ballymurphy massacre.

West Belfast MP Paul Maskey, Lord Mayor Deirdre Hargey, former Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein MLA Gerry Kelly were among those in attendance.

Mr Maskey said they were standing in solidarity with the Bloody Sunday families.

Speaking at the vigil, Mr Maskey said the decision to prosecute only one soldier over Bloody Sunday was “wrong”.

“The Bloody Sunday families have shown determination and dignity over the past 47 years that has been remarkable,” he said.

“We are proud to stand in solidarity with them this evening.

“The British state must be answerable for the crimes it has committed in Ireland.”

He continued: “The Bloody Sunday families are continuing on their journey for justice and Belfast will stand with them, the message to the British Government and its forces is very clear, justice will prevail.”

Pictures of Bloody Sunday victims James Wray and William McKinney were held up (Niall Carson/PA)
Pictures of Bloody Sunday victims James Wray and William McKinney were held up (Niall Carson/PA)

Briege Voyle, whose mother Joan Connolly was one of 10 people, including a priest, shot dead at Ballymurphy in 1971, also addressed the vigil.

She paid tribute to the “dignity” of the Bloody Sunday families following the “devastating” announcement that just one soldier will be prosecuted.

“They are heartbroken but they were dignified as they have always been, as we have always tried to be, we have followed them in their footsteps,” she said.

“We will be there standing by the Bloody Sunday families as they are there with us.

“We will get there … us fighting Irish will fight them all the way to the High Court if we have to.”

It came hours after Northern Ireland’s Public Prosecution Service (PPS) announced that a former paratrooper, known only as soldier F, will be charged with two murders and four attempted murders.

He will face charges for the murders of James Wray and William McKinney and the attempted murders of Joseph Friel, Michael Quinn, Joe Mahon and Patrick O’Donnell in Derry in 1972.

However, the PPS said 16 other former soldiers and two suspected ex-members of the Official IRA, all of whom were also investigated as part of a major police murder probe, will not face prosecution.

Relatives of those who died reacted with a mix of vindication, disappointment and defiance.

While welcoming the news for the six families directly impacted by the decision to prosecute Soldier F – declaring that a “victory” – the campaigners said they would keep fighting for the other dead and injured.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Bloody Sunday soldier expected in Derry court in AugustBloody Sunday soldier expected in Derry court in August

Soldier F supporters take to streets of BelfastSoldier F supporters take to streets of Belfast

Thousands of bikers protest against soldier’s Bloody Sunday prosecutionThousands of bikers protest against soldier’s Bloody Sunday prosecution

Bikers ride to Stormont in support of Soldier FBikers ride to Stormont in support of Soldier F

More in this Section

Micheál Martin calls for new Department of Higher Education and ResearchMicheál Martin calls for new Department of Higher Education and Research

Government set to oppose EU daylight saving time plansGovernment set to oppose EU daylight saving time plans

Court hears man threatened to kill garda and her husband and made 'offensive' phonecalls to four othersCourt hears man threatened to kill garda and her husband and made 'offensive' phonecalls to four others

More than 50% of Irish people admit to wasting waterMore than 50% of Irish people admit to wasting water


Lifestyle

Christy Collard and Robin O’Donovan are parents to six children, but sustainability is still a cornerstone of their busy lives in west Cork.The family that composts together stays together

Ron Howard was happy to let the spirit of Luciano Pavarotti shine through in his documentary on the great tenor, writes Laura Harding.Hitting the right note with new Luciano Pavarotti documentary

Prevention is so much better than cure, says Fiann Ó Nualláin, who offers gardeners timely advice on guarding face and body against those potentially damaging ultra-violet rays this season and beyond.Gardening: Be skincare-savvy for summer

It's never been more important to choose flowers and trees according to their environmental needs, says Peter DowdallIn these times of climate change, choose plants to weather all conditions

More From The Irish Examiner