Two men have appeared in court charged in connection with an incident in which guns were allegedly test fired in the back garden of a house in Dublin last week.
As part of an investigation in the Dublin's north inner city, searches were carried out by the Garda Organised Crime Unit, with support from the Emergency Response Unit, in the Cabra area, on the evening of October 14 last.
Two firearms and ammunition were seized and four men and one woman were arrested and held in custody in Store Street , Finglas and Mountjoy Garda Stations. Three have been released pending further investigation.
Today two men were brought before Dublin District Court to be charged over the seizure.
Karl Hyland (aged 22), with an address at St Attracta's Road, in Cabra, and Anthony Sharlott (aged 21), with an address at Fordstown, Navan, in Co. Meath, were each charged with three counts under the Firearms Act, for possessing a Browning pistol, a revolver and 37 rounds of ammunition.
The weapons and ammunition were allegedly recovered at Mr Hyland's address.
Detective Glen Somers of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation told Judge David McHugh that both men were charged on Saturday night last at Store Street Garda station and they “made no reply” after caution.
Solicitor Kieran Conway, representing both defendants, told Judge McHugh that an application for bail was not being made today.
Mr Hyland, who was wearing a black anorak, grey tracksuit and white runners, is unemployed, the court heard. Judge McHugh said that “given the seriousness of the charges” he would grant legal aid to him.
Legal aid was also given to his co-defendant, who was wearing a blue shirt, navy coloured jeans and brown shoes.
Both men remained silent during their brief court appearance and were remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Friday, October 22 next.