Two in court after bombs seized in Derry




Two men are due in court later today charged in connection with the seizure of four mortar bombs in Derry.

The pair, aged 35 and 37, are accused of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life, possessing articles for terrorist purposes and conspiring to cause an explosion.

They are due to appear before a district judge.

Two other men who were also questioned about the bomb find in the city on Sunday night, when police intercepted a van on the Letterkenny Road, were released from custody last night.

Four primed mortars were discovered in the back of the vehicle. Police said they were ready to be fired through the roof, which had been cut open, and claimed a planned attack by dissident republicans had been thwarted.

More in this Section

'Very little difference between aggravated burglary of elderly and murder,' says victim

Report shows four times more new houses need to be built in 2018 compared to last year

Minister wants 5G mobile network in place by 2020s

Here are the best beaches in Ireland, Europe and the world, according to TripAdvisor users


Today's Stories

HSE made man’s partner feel culpable for death

Tunisia attack victim looked ‘like she was lying in the sun’

Impasse on loan sale to vulture funds

RaboDirect closure prompts review call

Lifestyle

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner