A youth who lured a pizza delivery man into a robbery at a west Dublin housing estate has been remanded on bail pending sentence.
The 17-year-old boy and also a co-defendant of the same age had pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court earlier of the robbery of the delivery man, in Ballyfermot, on November 12 last year.
Judge Bryan Smyth noted today that the Probation and Welfare Service was seeking further time to prepare a pre-sentence report on the boy for the court.
He remanded the teenager, who was accompanied to his case by his father, on continuing bail for a further six weeks.
Garda Jeffrey Dowling had told the court that a phone call ordering a pizza delivery had been made by the defendant whom the court was told was drunk at the time.
The delivery man arrived and his car was “surrounded by a group of males.” The second boy threatened the driver who “feared for his life and handed over his property, food and a satellite navigation system.”
Garda Dowling agreed with solicitor Michelle Finan, defending, that the pair admitted their roles in the incident and were co-operative on arrest.
Ms Finan said the boy, who made the phone call had no prior convictions and was willing to pay €150 compensation to his victim. The teen has been taking part in a training course and was remorseful and had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, she had submitted.
She had asked the court to consider a family conference report where, if found suitable, the teenager would be ordered to take part in an action plan which if completed successfully over six months would lead to the case being struck out leaving him without a criminal record.
It would also allow the possibility of his victim attending a meeting with the boy who could express his remorse face to face, the court heard.
The teen's co-defendant is facing sentencing on a separate date next month.