The potato continues to remain a favourite in Irish homes, with more than 96% of households purchasing potatoes this year.
Today is National Potato Day and Irish consumers are being urged to explore new potato-based recipes.
The campaign, which is being organised by Bord Bia in conjunction with the Irish Potato Federation and the Irish Farmer’s Association, aims to inform people about their nutritional values.
A list of the seven most downloaded potato dishes is available from potato.ie.
The top seven are:
- Beef and potato stew;
- Potator bites with egg and cheese;
- Patatas revolconas (a potato and bacon dish);
- Chicken chasseur with poato mash;
- Batata harra (Lebanese spiced potatoes);
- Potato and onion pakora;
- Potato and turnip gratin.
Lorcan Bourke of Bord Bia said people could download one of the "magnificent seven" recipes or take part in a list of events in various parts of the country.