The N25 Cork to Waterford Road between Killeagh and Castlemartyr is currently impassable due to flooding, gardaí have confirmed this evening
Signed diversions are in place from Killeagh via Mogeely into Castlemartyr but there will be severe traffic restrictions and these diversion routes are now unsuitable for any HGV traffic.
"There should be no deviation from the signed diversion route as roads off of the route are impassable," a garda statement warned.
The R72 Fermoy to Dungarvan Rd is also currently impassable at Ballyrafter but efforts to open that are also ongoing.
WATERFORD: The N72 Fermoy/ Waterford Rd is now impassable at Ballyrafter. Further along, the road remains closed at Tallow Bridge. theaa.ie— AA Roadwatch (@aaroadwatch) January 3, 2016
CORK: Extreme care between Ballygarvin & Fivemilebridge on Kinsale Rd (R600) due to flooding. The road is passable. https://t.co/qvBPcgxUj8— AA Roadwatch (@aaroadwatch) January 3, 2016
The following diversions as agreed between An Garda Síochána and Cork and Waterford County Councils will be in place for Cork to Waterford Traffic from 9pm tonight:
* All Waterford to Cork Traffic is urged to use the N24 Waterford to Cahir and then the M8 / N8 route to Cork.
* All Dungarvan / Youghal to Cork H.G.V. traffic will be diverted at Rincrew Roundabout (Youghal Bridge) via Tallow (R634) and onto the N72 to Fermoy and then onto the N8 / M8 to Cork.
* All Cork to Waterford traffic is urged to use the N8 / M8 Cork to Dublin Rd and turn off at Cahir then onto the N24 to Waterford.
* All Cork to Youghal / Dungarvan traffic is urged to travel via the N8 / M8 to Fermoy and then the N72 and R634 to Youghal.
* All Midleton HGV traffic wishing to travel in Waterford direction should travel to Jack Lynch Tunnel and then onto the N8 / M8 to Fermoy and then onto Waterford / Dungarvan / Youghal as set out for Cork Traffic above.
Some minor roads are currently impassable and not suitable for vehicles.
"All road users should obey diversion signs and drive appropriately for the weather and road conditions," the Garda statement said.
Some minor roads remain flooded and motorists should obey relevant road signs.
"Only use your Satellite Navigation System when not on diversion routes as they may take you on roads that are impassable, " gardaí advised.