Several animals injured after fire at National Reptile Zoo in Co Kilkenny

Several animals injured after fire at National Reptile Zoo in Co Kilkenny
File image

Several animals have been injured after a fire has broke out at the National Reptile Zoo in Gowran, Co Kilkenny.

The blaze began shortly before 9.30am this morning and it is understood that no-one was injured but one of the animals died.

Additionally, the entire anti-venom stock for the country has been destroyed.

A snake has died and others have suffered smoke inhalation due to the fire.

It is believed an electrical fault occurred with a heat pad which was used for the cobra.

All the animals have now been evacuated and the fire has been dealt with by the Fire Service.

Owner James Hennessy said he hopes to have the Zoo reopened by tomorrow. The zoo will close for the remainder of the day.

Due to the fact that the blaze broke out in the venomous snake section, Mr Hennessy had to go into the building with members of the Fire Service and remove all the creatures himself.

He says it’s a very sad day for him and his staff but they will get the zoo back up and running.

Units of Kilkenny Fire Service are still on the scene.

The reptiles have proved extremely popular since being set-up in 2006. Many of the animals include snakes, lizards, crocodiles, tarantula spiders and tortoises.

More on this topic

Green welcome for Fianna Fáil’s wild proposalGreen welcome for Fianna Fáil’s wild proposal

Going wild with animal-centred summer days outGoing wild with animal-centred summer days out

Extinct flightless bird ‘comes back to life after evolving for second time’Extinct flightless bird ‘comes back to life after evolving for second time’

Cameras attached to sharks in South Africa reveal ‘spectacular’ footageCameras attached to sharks in South Africa reveal ‘spectacular’ footage

More in this Section

HSE reveals 50 women whose results were delayed by IT glitch tested positive for HPV virusHSE reveals 50 women whose results were delayed by IT glitch tested positive for HPV virus

Demand for post-abortion support more than doubles, Cork Sexual Health Centre reportsDemand for post-abortion support more than doubles, Cork Sexual Health Centre reports

Two-car crash in Waterford kills man, another airlifted to hospitalTwo-car crash in Waterford kills man, another airlifted to hospital

Man avoids jail for setting off smoke bomb in Cork nightclubMan avoids jail for setting off smoke bomb in Cork nightclub


Lifestyle

Tea dunking is not just for cosy winter evenings. Biscuits are handy in the summer months for picnics or to keep you going on long hikes.Michelle Darmody's tricks for perfect home made biscuits

Apply sunscreen throughout the day, says Helen O’CallaghanBurning issue: Children's skin needs added protection from the sun

Skincare guru Dr Raj Arora explains how this cleansing technique can make a big difference.Why you should follow the 60 second rule when washing your face, according to an expert

Karen Murray visited the island which is the smallest country in EU.Malta proves the best things come in small packages

More From The Irish Examiner