Sentence date set for boy who kicked man's head 'like football'

A 15-year-old boy, who showed no remorse after he kicked a Chinese man's head as if it were a football, during a brutal gang attack in Dublin, will face sentencing in November.

The Dublin schoolboy had pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court in August to assault causing harm at Sean McDermott Street, on May 31 last and was remanded to appear again today.

Judge Bryan Smyth noted that the Probation and Welfare Service officer assigned to the boy was seeking a further eight weeks to prepare a pre-sentencing report on him for the court.

Judge Smyth remanded the teen, who was accompanied to his case by a relative, to appear again in November for sentencing. He said that this was conditional on the boy attending school and youth clubs and co-operating with his probation officer.

Garda Cian Farrelly had told the court that the random attack was caught on CCTV cameras operating in the area. Gardai raced to the scene and found that the attack was still in progress.

Three youths were involved and tried to flee the scene.

The victim had been knocked to the ground by another member of the group and then all three started to kick and punch him. The teenager and his accomplices also “stamped” on the man's body and head.

He said that the victim was left with cuts and marks to his face, back and hands. At one point in the attack as two other youths were kicking the victim the boy leaned into him and punched him in the face.

Garda Farrelly described the attack as “absolutely brutal” and the worst he had ever seen.

He had also told the court that the boy kicked the man in the head “like it was a football” and had added that he “showed no remorse” for his actions..

The victim was taken to Store Street Garda station but was too afraid to enter the building “in case he might bump into” the defendant and two accomplices who were being held there at the time.

The teen also admitted two counts of trespassing at underground car parks in north inner city Dublin and interference with one vehicle parked there, which happened a day before the attack.

The boy has no prior convictions and must adhere to bail conditions set down by the court including a 9pm to 8am curfew.


More in this Section

Legal loophole for 70,000 drivers disqualified since 2012Legal loophole for 70,000 drivers disqualified since 2012

23-year-old man arrested following armed robbery in Cork city23-year-old man arrested following armed robbery in Cork city

Shooting the darkness: The Troubles in picturesShooting the darkness: The Troubles in pictures

Gardaí believe boy (16) was returning home from house party when struck by vehicleGardaí believe boy (16) was returning home from house party when struck by vehicle


Lifestyle

Helen O’Callaghan hears about awards for global changeGOAL Changemakers Award: Primary schools asked for views

More From The Irish Examiner