Roma supporter ‘lashed out’ at Liverpool fan before semi-final clash, court told

A Roma supporter lashed out at a Liverpool fan as he fell to the ground during a joint attack ahead of a Champions League semi-final, a court has heard.

Filippo Lombardi, 21, is accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Sean Cox, 53, outside Anfield before the first leg of the game on April 24.

Opening the trial at Preston Crown Court on Thursday, Neville Biddle, prosecuting, said: “Before the match, a Liverpool supporter Sean Cox, a middle-aged family man from Dublin, who was a lifelong Liverpool supporter and who had come to Liverpool with his older brother Martin, was assaulted and knocked unconscious and seriously injured.”

He added: “It’s the Crown’s case that two men were involved in the assault on Sean Cox – this defendant and another.

“It was the other man that struck the blow that felled Sean Cox and rendered him unconscious.

“The Crown say this was a joint attack by the other man and the defendant, they were both acting together and therefore equally responsible for the injuries inflicted.”

The court was told a second man had been arrested in Rome and was awaiting extradition.

Mr Cox’s wife and other family members sat in the public gallery for the start of the trial, along with about six members of Lombardi’s family.

Mr Biddle said Lombardi and the man shown on footage punching Mr Cox, referred to as N40, were at the front of a group of about 50 fans who walked from Liverpool Lime Street station to the stadium ahead of the match.

He said: “A witness, Mykel Askew, was on Venmore Street when he noticed the group of Italian fans all walking in the same direction approaching the ground, many of them had their faces covered and they were chanting in Italian.

He believed that they were going to cause trouble. Some of the group were taking their belts off and were holding them in a threatening manner.

The court heard Mr Cox, from Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland, and his brother had been outside the Albert pub when they heard the group chanting and Martin Cox had gone to move away from them.

Mr Biddle said: “Even as he did, he turned to see Sean Cox lying motionless on the ground.”

He said footage pieced together from CCTV and mobile phones showed Lombardi raising his belt as if to strike Sean Cox, before the other man punched him.

He added: “As he is falling to the ground, the defendant lashes out at him as he falls.

“It is quite clear, the Crown say, the defendant and N40 are acting together in a joint attack on an innocent bystander.”

He said Lombardi was identified on footage by Italian officers and arrested before leaving the match.

Alison Gurden, defending, said Lombardi, who had an Italian interpreter with him in the dock, had admitted an offence of violent disorder and accepted his behaviour following the attack on Mr Cox “went too far”.

She said: “There’s no dispute Mr Cox suffered catastrophic injuries and it’s clear that Mr Cox suffered those injuries due to the fact he was punched but Mr Lombardi would tell you he didn’t punch Mr Cox and he doesn’t accept he assaulted either Sean Cox or his brother Martin Cox.”

She said Mr Lombardi had “no idea” N40 was going to assault Mr Cox or anyone else in an unprovoked attack.

The trial is expected to last until next week.- Press Association

Earlier: Italian supporter in court to face charge over injured Liverpool fan Sean Cox

An Italian man accused of attacking and seriously injuring an Irishman outside Anfield before a Liverpool match is due to stand trial today.

Sean Cox, from Dunboyne in Co. Meath, suffered severe brain injuries when he was hit just minutes before a Champions League game last April.

Inset: Sean Cox

Sean Cox was attacked while making his way to Anfield less than an hour before Liverpool were due to kick-off against Italian side Roma last April.

He spent weeks in a local hospital before he was transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin.

He was recently moved to the National Rehabilitation Centre in Dun Laoghaire where he is undergoing an intensive 12-week treatment plan.

Filippo Lombardi from Viale Antonio Ciamarra in Rome is charged with wounding or inflicting grievous bodily harm on the 53-year-old married father of three.

It is an offence which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

The 21-year-old is due to stand trial before a judge and jury this morning, and it is understood some of Mr. Cox’s family members, including his wife Martina have travelled to Preston to watch proceedings.

His case was mentioned briefly yesterday and a jury is due to be sworn in this morning to hear what’s expected to be a five-day trial.

Digital Desk


Related Articles

Warren Nolan found guilty of murder of Alan O'Neill

Emmerdale actor denies attacking pensioner

Man stole €100k and gave it to chatroom ‘friends’

Four charged in connection with Dublin drug seizure

More in this Section

Katherine Zappone launches competition to find best LGBTI+ 'welcome'

Gardaí appeal for witness after stabbing in Dublin

'Complex' obstacles to social reintegration for drug users on methadone treatment

Three people, including garda, injured in Roscommon incident


Lifestyle

Islands of Ireland: The lady of the lake

Beauty and miraculous evolution of avian flight

Celebrate the pine marten

Who are the top dogs among hyenas?

More From The Irish Examiner