Rape accused says he and woman had consensual sex in tour bus hallway, in front of others

Rape accused says he and woman had consensual sex in tour bus hallway, in front of others

By Aoife Nic Ardghail

A man accused of raping a woman after a Jason Derulo concert in Cork has said there were no closed doors on the tour bus where she alleges the incident happened.

In a recorded garda interview shown to the jury, the man described how he was never alone with the complainant and that other people witnessed him having sex with her in the tour bus.

“Everybody’s moving, there’s no closed doors, everybody knows what’s going on, we’re right in the hallway”, the man told gardaí after his arrest.

“It might be graphic but literally I’m sitting here next to another person while I’m dong this to a girl”, he said.

The 35-year-old man who cannot be named for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal to rape, oral rape, sexual assault and false imprisonment of the then 19-year-old woman at an unknown location in Cork city on June 27, 2014.

In the interview video, the accused described the “rock and roll” lifestyle of the tour bus where he said he had consensual sex with the woman in the bus's hallway.

He said the encounter lasted for about 15 minutes and included consensual oral sex. Afterwards, the man said he removed the condom he had been wearing and returned downstairs to where he had initially been speaking with the complainant.

He said after five minutes the woman returned downstairs, said goodbye and was let out of the bus by security.

Today, the Director of Public Prosecutions dropped all the charges against another man who had been accused of raping the same woman during the same encounter. The court heard there was insufficient evidence against the 44-year-old.

This followed a ruling by the trial judge Mr Justice Paul Butler.

The second defendant had denied the rape and false imprisonment of the complainant on the same occasion. Mr Derulo is not charged with any offence in relation to these events.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Butler and a jury of 10 men and two women.

More on this topic

Mother feared for life after adult son pushed her down stairs in most recent attackMother feared for life after adult son pushed her down stairs in most recent attack

Mercy Hospital in Cork admits security breach after radioactive pen disappeared Mercy Hospital in Cork admits security breach after radioactive pen disappeared

All rise ... from the dead. Cork judge delighted as man thought to be dead walks into courtAll rise ... from the dead. Cork judge delighted as man thought to be dead walks into court

Cork autism campaigner was verbally abused by Scientology employee, court findsCork autism campaigner was verbally abused by Scientology employee, court finds


More in this Section

Man charged over ATM thefts in Co AntrimMan charged over ATM thefts in Co Antrim

589 people are waiting on trolleys589 people are waiting on trolleys

Sports minister open to 'constructive suggestions' over possible FAI splitSports minister open to 'constructive suggestions' over possible FAI split

Three arrested in connection with Lucan murderThree arrested in connection with Lucan murder


Lifestyle

For wine-lovers, a tour of the Rioja region of northern Spain is like a visit to your very own fairytale — but with added wine, writes Anna O’DonoghueSip sip hooray in the capital of Spanish wine Spain’s wine capital

Sorting out Cork people for agesAsk Audrey: Being nice to poor kids is everything that is wrong about Christmas

Ever wondered if liqueurs or drink-laced Christmas puddings might put you over the drink-driving limit? Pat Fitzpatrick picks up a breathalyser and puts six sweet treats to the testDo these boozy treats put you over the drink-driving limit?

Kya deLongchamps investigates the history behind the mythCan you really be arrested for eating a mince pie on Christmas Day in Britain?

More From The Irish Examiner