Priest's High Court libel action against RTE listed for next month

A High Court libel action by a priest against RTE for wrongly accusing him of raping a minor while in Kenya is to go ahead next month.

The broadcaster has already apologised to Father Kevin Reynolds for the Prime Time broadcast on May 23 last.

Fr Reynolds received standing ovations in mass in Ahascaragh, Galway when he told parishioners he felt "freed from lies and false allegations" following an apology from RTE last week.

On its website, the State broadcaster acknowledges it defamed the Mill Hill missionary by accusing him of raping a woman in Kenya and fathering her child.

The priest immediately denied the allegations and offered to undergo a paternity test.

Today his barrister Frank Callinan told the High Court he was very anxious to get a hearing date for the upcoming libel action against RTE.

The jury trial has been listed for November 15 and is likely to run for three or four days.

More in this Section

Children's charity welcome cross party support for Digital Safety Commissioner role

Garda records of violent partners 'incomplete or inaccurate', says Policing Authority

Prime Time to air dramatic CCTV of burglaries in progress

Jury in RTE / Nicky Kehoe action asked to consider rights to freedom of expression and to a good name


Today's Stories

Man jailed for damaging headstones

Citizens’ Assembly chair rejects criticism of 8th report

450 people had welfare payments suspended

Government ‘satisfied’ with Brexit backstop

Lifestyle

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner