Post mortem due on Cork student today

A post mortem examination will be carried on the body of an 18-year-old UCC student today.

He had been missing for nearly four days before his body was found.

A massive search operation was mounted for Caolan Mulrooney, who disappeared in the early hours of Friday morning after he left Cubin's nightclub.

Gardaí trawled through hours of CCTV footage and his last known sighting pinpointed him on Fort Street just off Barrack Street.

Yesterday morning his body was discovered in a yard at Blue Anchor Lane, at the Capwell Road end of Douglas Street, shortly before 11am.

This morning Dr Margaret Bolster is due to conduct a post mortem.

Superintendant Barry McPolin, who is leading the investigation, told Cork's RedFM that it is to early to speculate what happened to Caolan.

"It is too early," he said. "I think we have to await the outcome of the post mortem and put all of the pieces together and then come to conclusions.

"It’s a terrible tragedy for Caolan's family and his friends."

More in this Section

Queer dictionary for Irish language launched translating words like transgender, bigender and genderqueer

Ronan Group 'bewildered and disappointed' as plan for Dublin's tallest building rejected

Woman loses case against Dunnes over smashed Dolmio jar

Shane Ross admits Road Traffic Bill could cost people their livelihoods

Today's Stories

Fundraising bid for student Jack O’Driscoll paralysed after fall in snow

Measles outbreak continues to grow as 25 cases identified

CAB raids on tech firm in Dublin

Half of FF TDs vote against Eighth referendum


New father’s life ‘changed forever’ after he was run over by surgeon

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner