Polish 'forced to leave homes' after attacks

Polish 'forced to leave homes' after attacks

More than 40 Polish people have been forced to flee their homes after the violence linked to their national team's match against Northern Ireland, it was claimed today.

Some have left their homes after attacks or threats while others have left the North completely.

Four Poles appeared in court last Friday and pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour.

Only one had an address in Belfast.

The charges arose from running battles between Polish football supporters and Northern Ireland fans the previous weekend.

Since then, there have been a series of retaliatory attacks on the homes of Polish workers in south and east Belfast.

The Polish Association says people are fearful and some have sought emergency accommodation while others, at least five, have left the country.

The association has condemned the violence of their co-nationals and the violent retaliation against people who took no part in it.


More in this Section

President Higgins and Defence Minister evacuated from hotel in Lebanese capitalPresident Higgins and Defence Minister evacuated from hotel in Lebanese capital

Gardaí appeal for help in search for missing man in GalwayGardaí appeal for help in search for missing man in Galway

Probe launched as Fianna Fail TD claims colleague voted for him in DailProbe launched as Fianna Fail TD claims colleague voted for him in Dail

Taoiseach: All 27 EU states will need to approve any Brexit extension requestsTaoiseach: All 27 EU states will need to approve any Brexit extension requests


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner