The State was today granted a time extension to allow it complete the book of evidence in the case of a 17-year-old boy charged with the murder of a Polish man in Drimnagh, in Dublin in February.
The teenage boy, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, had been charged earlier with the murder of Pawel Kalite on Benbulben Road, Drimnagh, on February 23 last.
At the Dublin Children’s Court today Judge Patrick McMahon was told by a State’s solicitor that the book of evidence in the case, which is to be sent forward to the Central Criminal Court, was not ready yet.
Judge McMahon was told that “toxicology reports” from State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy were still awaited.
Defence solicitor Maura Keily said there was consent to a two-week remand.
Judge McMahon extended time for two weeks for the book of evidence to be completed. He remanded the south Dublin teenager, who was accompanied to the proceedings by his father, in custody with consent to High Court bail.
A summons against the boy for a non-related offence for possessing cocaine, on December 8 last, at Bangor Road, in Crumlin, in Dublin, was also before the court today.
Judge McMahon adjourned that matter for two weeks also to allow the boy take legal advice.
The teenager, who remained silent during the brief proceedings, had been remanded in custody on March 15 last to St Patrick’s Institution but was later granted High Court bail which he is yet to take up.
Earlier in the proceedings, Detective Garda Eamonn Maloney had said he arrested the defendant at 10.24pm on March 14 last at Crumlin garda station, in the presence of his father.
Det Maloney had said that when the boy was cautioned, he was invited to make a reply, to which he answered “no”.
On March 20 last, the High Court granted bail, which the youth has yet to take up, with conditions that he stayed out of the Dublin 12 area and resided with a relative in another part of the city.
The High Court judge also banned the teenager from having contact with any witnesses or potential witness and ordered him to stay away from any potential co-accused in relation to the case.
If he takes up the High Court bail, he must sign on daily at a garda station, be subject to a curfew from 10pm to 7am and not seek to obtain a passport or any travel documents, and not to consume alcohol and drugs.
Mr Kalite (aged 29) and his friend Marius Szwajkos (aged 27) were stabbed after they became involved in an argument outside shops on Benbulben Road, a short distance from where they lived.
Mr Szwajkos died from his injuries in St James’s Hospital two days later. Mr Kalite died at the same hospital in the early hours of February 28.
Three other teenagers, including two males aged 19 and 15 years and a 14-year-old girl, were also held for questioning in relation to the incident in the days after the victims died.
They were all subsequently released without charge.
No one has been charged so far in connection with the death of Mr Szwajkos.