A woman in her 90s is recovering in hospital after she was rescued from her burning home in Co Clare this evening.
The alarm was raised at around 5.00pm when a family member, who lives next door, spotted smoke coming from the house.
It’s believed she ran to the scene and found the farmhouse on fire and the pensioner still inside. She helped the elderly woman to safety and raised the alarm.
Three units of the fire service from Scarriff along with an appliance from Killaloe responded to the incident. An ambulance and Gardaí also attended the scene.
The house is located at Gortavrulla, a remote are about 7 kilometres from Scarriff in east Clare.
The elderly woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken by ambulance to University Hospital Limerick for further treatment.
It is understood the fire started accidentally.