Paratroopers showed great restraint in Ballymurphy, inquest hears

Paratroopers showed great restraint in Ballymurphy, inquest hears

A former paratrooper has insisted they showed “great restraint” during prolonged rioting in an area of west Belfast in 1971 before opening fire.

The witness, who has been granted anonymity and is referred to as M5O6, had been stationed at a school which was serving as a temporary army base on August 9, 1971.

On that night, six civilians, including a priest, were shot dead.

(left to right top row) Joseph Corr, Danny Teggart, Eddie Doherty, Father Hugh Mullan, Frank Quinn, Paddy McCarthy, (left to right, bottom row) Joan Connolly, John McKerr, Noel Philips, John Laverty and Joseph Murphy, who were all gunshot victims of the Ballymurphy massacre in west Belfast in 1971 (PA)
(left to right top row) Joseph Corr, Danny Teggart, Eddie Doherty, Father Hugh Mullan, Frank Quinn, Paddy McCarthy, (left to right, bottom row) Joan Connolly, John McKerr, Noel Philips, John Laverty and Joseph Murphy, who were all gunshot victims of the Ballymurphy massacre in west Belfast in 1971 (PA)

Rioting had been ongoing since early on August 9 after the British army moved into republican areas across Northern Ireland to arrest IRA suspects after the introduction by the Stormont administration of the controversial policy of internment without trial.

The incident was part of a three-day series of shootings from August 9-11 which has become known as the Ballymurphy Massacre.

A new inquest at Belfast Coroner’s Court is examining the deaths of 10 civilians, including a mother of eight, across the three days.

Claims that IRA gunmen were in the area at the time have been disputed during the inquest hearings.

Families of the people who were killed during a disputed series of shootings in the Ballymurphy area of Belfast in August 1971 hold images of their loved ones with supporters outside Belfast Laganside Courts (Liam McBurney/PA)
Families of the people who were killed during a disputed series of shootings in the Ballymurphy area of Belfast in August 1971 hold images of their loved ones with supporters outside Belfast Laganside Courts (Liam McBurney/PA)

On Friday, the inquest heard from a former member of the Parachute Regiment who had been on duty in the area on the evening of August 9.

He insisted that after 16 hours of rioting, soldiers did not open fire until their base came under fire.

M506 told the inquest that a bullet came through the window of the sangar on top of Vere Foster school where he had been stationed that evening.

I know Paras don't get a great press from certain parts of the community but they weren't as bad as people make out

“Quite a lot of the guys were married to local girls and I think that’s why they showed great restraint,” M506 told the inquest.

“Considering that rioting had been going on since possibly 5am, 16 hours of rioting, great provocation and I think they really put up with a lot of provocation for all that time.

“I think the change came when gun fire started coming into our base.

“I know Paras don’t get a great press from certain parts of the community but they weren’t as bad as people make out.

“They showed great restraint, these guys didn’t come here for a killing mission.”

M506 said he did not fire his gun that day.

His evidence was adjourned on Friday afternoon to a date which has yet to be fixed.

The inquest continues.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Inquest hears of communication issues at hospital as 'perfect and beautiful' baby stillbornInquest hears of communication issues at hospital as 'perfect and beautiful' baby stillborn

Jury at woman's inquest recommends new testing system for Luas body catcher mechanismJury at woman's inquest recommends new testing system for Luas body catcher mechanism

Baby suffered fractured skull during delivery, consultant tells inquestBaby suffered fractured skull during delivery, consultant tells inquest

Clare man died two hours after taking 'liquid heroin', inquest hearsClare man died two hours after taking 'liquid heroin', inquest hears

More in this Section

Micheál Martin calls for new Department of Higher Education and ResearchMicheál Martin calls for new Department of Higher Education and Research

Government set to oppose EU daylight saving time plansGovernment set to oppose EU daylight saving time plans

Court hears man threatened to kill garda and her husband and made 'offensive' phonecalls to four othersCourt hears man threatened to kill garda and her husband and made 'offensive' phonecalls to four others

More than 50% of Irish people admit to wasting waterMore than 50% of Irish people admit to wasting water


Lifestyle

Christy Collard and Robin O’Donovan are parents to six children, but sustainability is still a cornerstone of their busy lives in west Cork.The family that composts together stays together

Ron Howard was happy to let the spirit of Luciano Pavarotti shine through in his documentary on the great tenor, writes Laura Harding.Hitting the right note with new Luciano Pavarotti documentary

Prevention is so much better than cure, says Fiann Ó Nualláin, who offers gardeners timely advice on guarding face and body against those potentially damaging ultra-violet rays this season and beyond.Gardening: Be skincare-savvy for summer

It's never been more important to choose flowers and trees according to their environmental needs, says Peter DowdallIn these times of climate change, choose plants to weather all conditions

More From The Irish Examiner