New mission for Defence Forces in Med approved by Cabinet

New mission for Defence Forces in Med approved by Cabinet

The Government has approved the deployment of up to three Permanent Defence Force personnel to a new EU operation in the Mediterranean.

Codenamed Operation Irini, the plan will not see an Irish naval vessel deployed but it does provide for the possible future deployment of up to two Permanent Defence Force personnel to the Force Headquarters at sea.

In the memorandum for Cabinet, ministers were told that Operation Irini follows on from Operation Sophia and has been established with the core task of contributing to preventing arms trafficking within its agreed area of operation in the Mediterranean.

“Operation Sophia officially closed on 31st March 2020 following a number of technical rollovers of the operation mandate between September 2018 and March 2020 in light of the ongoing lack of agreement around disembarkation and redistribution of migrants rescued at sea,” Defence Minister Paul Kehoe told Cabinet

At present the Defence Forces have two personnel deployed to the Operational Headquarters of Operation Sophia in Rome.

The pair are currently engaged in administrative activities to close out Operation Sophia. Our existing contributions of up to 3 personnel to the HQ in Rome will be maintained under the new Operation Irini.

“The Defence Forces had previously provided two personnel to the Force Headquarters located at sea on an Italian Naval Vessel. Subject to the availability of the requisite personnel, it is proposed that Ireland may also fill up to 2 appointments in the Force Headquarters of the new mission,” the memo states.

“Should migrants be rescued, an arrangement is in place where a Member State will volunteer a port of disembarkation and rescued migrants will be distributed in accordance with pre-declared pledges made by those Member States who have a ship deployed in the mission and by other MS who voluntarily participate,” it adds.

“It is not proposed to deploy an Irish Naval Vessel to the operation at this time,” it concluded.

The matter was approved by Cabinet on Friday.

More on this topic

Defence Forces recruitment hampered by Covid-19Defence Forces recruitment hampered by Covid-19

Over €10 million spent to help Defence Forces during Covid-19 pandemicOver €10 million spent to help Defence Forces during Covid-19 pandemic

Letter to the Editor: Civilian control of defence is democratic

Letter to the Editor: Appoint Cathal Berry as Minister for DefenceLetter to the Editor: Appoint Cathal Berry as Minister for Defence


More in this Section

Cork businesses hail lifting of coronavirus restrictionsCork businesses hail lifting of coronavirus restrictions

Pints and peanuts do not make a pub a restaurant – Dr Tony HolohanPints and peanuts do not make a pub a restaurant – Dr Tony Holohan

Irish Water postponed new charges over 'optics' fearIrish Water postponed new charges over 'optics' fear

People advised to wear face coverings when visiting older peoplePeople advised to wear face coverings when visiting older people


Lifestyle

Throw all the veg you’ve got into this easy dish.Jack Monroe’s recalibration supper recipe

In a time when our shopping and cooking needs to be efficient and easy, we are bringing back our One List, Five Meals recipe pages.Michelle Darmody's One list, Five meals

What is the future of fashion and how will the ‘high street’ look when this is all over? Corina Gaffey asks those in the knowThe future of fashion: How the crisis will impact the retail industry and what we wear

Surveying the global market, Des O’Sullivan says when the going gets tough, the tough get goingHow art world is putting changed times in picture

More From The Irish Examiner