Two elderly sisters are recovering in Cork University Hospital, after they were found unconscious at their home yesterday.
The women, aged 82 and 92 and identified locally as retired shopkeepers the Norton sisters, are thought to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. They are said to be in a comforatble condition in hospital.
Two gardaí who rescued the women also needed medical attention.
A neighbour named locally as Angela Marshall became concerned for the welfare of the two sisters when she went to check on them and failed to get an answer at the door. She alerted gardaí.
Gardaí said the women could have died if Mrs Marshall had not called them to the scene.
CEO of Age Action, Eamon Timmons, said the incident shows the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
"We'd encourage people to call in on their elderly neighbours to make sure they're ok during the winter months," he said.
"We'd really encourage people to install a carbon monoxide alarm in the coming days. It's vital people have these alarms installed whereever they're buring fuel."