Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin has said the Sudanese government is continuing to work to secure the release of Irish aid worker Sharon Commins and has ruled out an armed rescue attempt.
The Goal worker from Dublin was kidnapped from a compound in Darfur at the beginning of July, along with her Ugandan colleague.
Minister travelled to Sudan on Saturday to hold discussions with the government there, who are in talks with tribal leaders.
Martin said that he had been told that Commins is in good physical health, but was very anxious to see her release.
"It's not acceptable that anybody should be held for 60 days in captivity - we pointed this out, and there is a need to know what the peaceful resolution is," said Martin.
"We again stress ‘peaceful resolution’ - we don't believe in any attempt at forcibly freeing the girls, we're very much opposed to that and we've conveyed that to the government of Sudan, who accept that position."