Midleton flood relief target to be hit

A target date 2022 for constructions works on a flood relief scheme will be met, Cork County Council has insisted.

Traders, in particular, in Midleton remain on tender-hooks in a town which suffered significant damage from flooding, including a devastating 2015 storm.

Dave Clarke, the senior engineer for the region, assured county councillors a planning process for the project will get underway in 2020 and a detailed design completed in 2021.

Independent councillor Noel Collins sought temporary works, in the mean time, to help lessen the potential impact of further floods for business and family homes in the east Cork town.

Proposing yearly dredging of local rivers and flushing out of a drainage system, the country’s longest-serving councillor said he had been seeking flood defences for Midleton for 53 years.

Mr Clarke advised the council had invested in emergency pumps which would be used to combat flooding. He said that they had been used to good effect, even as recently as December 15.

It was, said Mr Clarke, one of the measures adopted as part of “a flood response plan” following the 2015 flood damage. The council is also providing an advance flood alert service in Midleton.


More on this topic

Demountable barriers part of Cork city’s flood plan

Cork flood defence opponents ignoring ‘holistic approach’

Cork flood defence plan changes unveiled

City Hall ‘trying to distort true position’, says solicitor for Save Cork City

More in this Section

Wedding guest smeared his blood in cell

Man knocked unconscious and left in pool of blood

Careless driving jury urged to ‘put sympathy aside’

Man had 80,000 child porn images


Lifestyle

A question of taste: Jessie Grimes

The Cat and the Fiddle: Gifted Irish violinist to join Vengerov in National Concert Hall

Changing their feathers: Male lead Swan Lake went from controversial to iconic

Learning Points: Pointless pursuit of perfection is consuming teens

More From The Irish Examiner