A Dublin teenager is facing trial for attacking a man who was beaten up on his way to a neighbourhood watch meeting, reports Tom Tuite.
The boy, aged 15, is charged with assault causing harm in connection with the incident in Tyrrelstown in Dublin on a date last August. The defendant, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was aged 14 at the time.
He appeared at the Dublin Children’s Court on Thursday for a preliminary hearing to decide his trial venue. The Director of Public Prosecutions had recommended that the case should stay in the juvenile court and not go to a higher court.
In an outline of the allegations, Garda Rosanna Caul told the court it was alleged the man had been on the way to a neighbourhood watch meeting when he spoke to a group of youths.
It was alleged he was followed and that the the boy “punched him nine or 10 times from behind”.
The man was struck to the head and also suffered an open wound over his right eye, the court was told. Medical report was furnished to the court.
Judge O’Connor heard that Gardai also have CCTV evidence.
The boy, who was accompanied to court by his barrister and his mother, did not address the court. His barrister said that while it was a very serious offence, the boy was aged 14 at the time and has not been in trouble since.
Judge John O’Connor accepted jurisdiction.
The teen’s lawyer said there was a not guilty plea and an October trial date at the Children’s Court was set. The boy, who is on bail, has other unrelated charges before the court which were also adjourned.