Man denies raping boss' young daughter

A Roscommon man has gone on trial at the Central Criminal Court accused of anally raping his boss’s teenage daughter two years ago.

The man, who can not be named for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty to one count of anally raping the then 13-year-old girl in a storage facility at the back of her father’s business on a date between August 16 and October 1, 2008.

The now 15-year-old complainant told Mr Bernard Condon SC, prosecuting, that she had been sitting in the back office “doodling” on a notepad when the man came in and asked would she play a game of “truth or dare”.

The girl said she chose a game of dare because she had played similar games with him in which he had dared her to wave at passing cars on the road.

She told Mr Condon that this time the man dared her to let him engage in anal sex with her, that he left the office when she refused but returned a half hour later to ask if she had changed her mind.

The complainant said she was afraid and followed the man into a back storage area where he told her to take down her trousers before engaging in anal sex.

The girl, giving evidence via video link, said the man moved her farther into the room away from a window for fear he would be seen and asked her if she liked what he was doing.

She said she told him she “hated” it and he stopped after three or four minutes.

The girl said the man asked her for anal sex on another occasion in her father’s office but she refused, telling him that the last encounter had left her bleeding.

She told Mr Condon (with Mr Damien Colgan BL) that she bled for around a week after and told her mother about the incident during a visit to her doctor.

She agreed with Mr Martin Giblin SC, defending, that she had known the man for the two and a half years he had worked at her father’s business and that she had no reason to fear him before this since they had been on friendly terms.

Mr Giblin asked if it had occurred to her to go home or tell her mother on the phone what his client allegedly asked her to do after he left the office the first time.

The complainant replied that she understood the man’s suggestion had been wrong but that she did not go home or tell her mother.

She denied the incident never happened and said she refused the man anal sex once more after the alleged incident.

Mr Giblin read from her original garda statement, in which she described the man asking her to repeat the incident “anytime” she was at the business.

Counsel pointed out that this would seem she was asked more than once.

The girl explained that she’d meant to say he asked her “once” after the incident but that it came out as “anytime”.

She recalled bleeding for a few days “on and off” after the alleged incident but said this was probably just on her underwear and did not get on the rest of her clothes.

She agreed the blood would have appeared on subsequent pairs of underwear after its appearance on the pair she had been wearing the day of the alleged incident.

The girl’s mother told Mr Condon that her daughter came to her in October 2008 complaining of bleeding.

The mother said she bathed the area and applied cream after the girl had showed her a tissue spotted with blood and then went to the family doctor a week later when the condition showed no signs of changing.

The mother told Mr Condon that she was “very disturbed and upset” by what the doctor said to her in private after the consultation.

She added that her daughter told her in the car home that the man had engaged in anal sex.

The mother said she confronted the man three separate times that day about her daughter’s allegation but each time he replied: “I don’t know what you’re on about.”

The trial continues before Mr Justice Barry White and a jury of six women and six men.


More in this Section

Expert says Ireland experiencing a hidden allergy health crisisExpert says Ireland experiencing a hidden allergy health crisis

Howlin denies party has changed stance on discussing coalition with Sinn FéinHowlin denies party has changed stance on discussing coalition with Sinn Féin

'There will be blood on HSE’s hands' if West Cork hospital services are downgraded, public meeting told'There will be blood on HSE’s hands' if West Cork hospital services are downgraded, public meeting told

Author warns of wave of unfriendliness descending on Irish peopleAuthor warns of wave of unfriendliness descending on Irish people


Lifestyle

The benefits of cutting down on booze can last way beyond the new year. Lauren Taylor finds out more about strategies to help make the change stick.Beyond Dry January: Is it time to reassess our relationship with alcohol in the longer term?

More From The Irish Examiner