Man denies punching Ireland's only Monet painting

Man denies punching Ireland's only Monet painting

Man denies punching Ireland's only Monet painting

The trial has begun of a man accused of knocking a hole through a Claude Monet oil-painting at the National Gallery of Ireland, causing €7m worth of criminal damage.

Andrew Shannon (aged 48) is accused of putting his hand through Ireland's only painting by the famous French impressionist, entitled 'Argenteuil Basin with a Single Sailboat'.

The painting dates from 1874 and is valued at about €10m.

Mr Shannon, with an address at Willans Way, Ongar, Dublin 15, told two tourists who witnessed the incident that he had “felt faint” and collapsed onto the painting.

He pleaded not guilty to causing criminal damage to the painting at the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin on June 29, 2012.

The court heard that Mr Shannon worked as a French polisher with Foyle Antiques, which has now closed.

Kerida Naidoo BL, prosecuting, told the jury, that Mr Shannon was captured on CCTV footage entering and leaving the room in the Millennium Unit of the National Gallery where the painting was hanging.

He said the two eye-witnesses who had been holidaying in Ireland at the time have travelled from New Zealand to give evidence.

In his opening speech, Mr Naidoo said the incident happened at about 11am, and that gardaí and an ambulance arrived within 15 minutes.

He said Mr Shannon had told a number of people, including the two tourists, that he had fallen or in some way collapsed against the painting.

He said the jury will hear that Mr Shannon's pulse was taken, he was given oxygen and was described as having a “sweaty forehead”.

However, after a short while the medics on the scene decided Mr Shannon's condition was not a cause for concern.

Brendan Grehan SC, defending, said Mr Shannon accepts that the damage to the painting was caused by his hand coming into contact with it.

He said his client has a history of heart problems, and was taken to hospital by ambulance after the incident.

Mr Shannon was then driven to a garda station where he was seen by three different doctors over the course of 12 hours in custody.

He was brought back to hospital a second time the following morning.

The trial continues tomorrow before Judge Desmond Hogan and a jury of seven women and five men.

It is expected to last five days.


More in this Section

We just want financial and employment security say Ireland's 20-year-olds We just want financial and employment security say Ireland's 20-year-olds

Headstones erected at unmarked graves of 1920 Bloody Sunday victimsHeadstones erected at unmarked graves of 1920 Bloody Sunday victims

Limerick University Hospital's second MRI scanner will have 'very significant impact' on waiting timesLimerick University Hospital's second MRI scanner will have 'very significant impact' on waiting times

Six women and five men to face charges relating to over 200 counts of sexual abuse and child neglectSix women and five men to face charges relating to over 200 counts of sexual abuse and child neglect


Lifestyle

REVIEW: This superb adaptation of A Christmas Carol puts a contemporary twist on Dickens' classic tale, writes Alan O'RiordanReview: A Christmas Carol, Gate Theatre, Dublin

Move over quinoa.Everything you need to know about fonio, the ancient grain we’ll all be eating in 2020

The former heptathlete and all-round super woman chats to Lauren Taylor about how to stay fit in pregnancy and body confidence after a baby.Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill: ‘There’s still a lot of stigma attached to exercising pregnant’

Behaving aggressively is a stage many toddlers go through. The author of The Wonder Weeks explains how parents should deal with kids who kick & bite.Ask an expert: How can I stop my toddler kicking and biting?

More From The Irish Examiner