Man, 80s, dies following fire at hospital on Christmas Eve

Man, 80s, dies following fire at hospital on Christmas Eve
St Luke's Hospital in Rathgar. Photo via Google Maps

A man in his 80s has died after a fire at a Dublin hospital on Christmas Eve.

The incident occurred on a ward at St Luke's Hospital in Rathgar at around 5.30am on Monday.

Five people were injured and three were transferred to St James’s Hospital while two were sent to St Vincent’s Hospital.

The man, who transferred to St James's Hospital for treatment, died as a result of the injuries sustained in the fire, the HSE said in a statement.

"The hospital would like to extend its sincere sympathies to the family," a spokesperson said.

"The incident will be investigated by the hospital and the relevant authorities."

The Health Information and Quality Authority has been informed of the incident.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious, a garda spokesperson said.

More on this topic

Rocks and fireworks thrown at firefighters as they deal with 144 incidentsRocks and fireworks thrown at firefighters as they deal with 144 incidents

Dáil hears claim fire brigade delayed by low water pressure at school fireDáil hears claim fire brigade delayed by low water pressure at school fire

Latest: Support to be given to 200 students affected by Dublin school damaged by fireLatest: Support to be given to 200 students affected by Dublin school damaged by fire

Criminal investigation launched following fire in Dublin apartment complexCriminal investigation launched following fire in Dublin apartment complex


More in this Section

Mother 'fuming' at Taoiseach's comments about Santa finding homeless childrenMother 'fuming' at Taoiseach's comments about Santa finding homeless children

Number of children prosecuted for crimes down 41%Number of children prosecuted for crimes down 41%

Change of mindset needed for gardaí to become community orientated police serviceChange of mindset needed for gardaí to become community orientated police service

National Lottery apologises for scratchcard errorNational Lottery apologises for scratchcard error


Lifestyle

Don’t just bung this festive favourite in a boring pot and wait for it to wilt, says Hannah Stephenson.How to style your Christmas poinsettia

More From The Irish Examiner