Insect in dessert, nail in takeaway, and hair in sauce - FSAI reveal complaints

A live insect in a packaged dessert, a human nail in a takeaway and a cigarette butt in a bag of chips.

These were some of the nasty discoveries callers to the Food Safety Authority claimed to have made last year.

The trained advisors and food scientists on the FSAI's advice line took a total of 3,202 calls last year.

Standout examples of allegations include a long black hair in garlic sauce, glass in a dessert and even a deli staff member failing to wash their hands after sneezing, then going on to make sandwiches.

Overall, there was a 17% jump in calls received by the line, and a 45% jump in complaints about food poisoning.

Officials say consumers are developing a culture of 'zero tolerance towards poor hygiene standards, and in particular, food that is unfit to eat'.

The public is being encouraged to report bad food safety experiences to the FSAI - by phone, email, Facebook or Twitter.


More in this Section

Plans for College Green pedestrian plaza rejected

Roma supporter awaits fate over Liverpool fan Sean Cox's 'catastrophic injuries'

Charlie Flanagan apologises to Maurice McCabe on behalf of State

Gardaí arrest woman in connection with fatal shooting of Jamie Tighe Ennis


Breaking Stories

A question of taste: Sinead Dunphy

Ten to see at Cork Film Festival

Women’s Enterprise Day: Go forth and be successful

The devastating consequences of alienation for children

More From The Irish Examiner