The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation has reported an annual fall in the numbers of patients admitted to hospitals on trolleys.
Their Trolley/Ward Watch for last month shows a 14% reduction compared to May 2015.
The figures confirm that 6,627 patients admitted for care, were on trolleys this year, compared to 7,713 in May 2015.
The INMO welcomes it but also noted that the time of year, and improved weather, and the current Emergency Department agreement have contributed to the fall.
The INMO said however that it will be short lived "if the recruitment pause, recently announced by the HSE, is not stood down immediately".
They repeated their call for a lifting of restrictions on recruiting frontline staff and the expansion of bed capacity and services before October 1.
INMO General Secretary Liam Doran said: "Any reduction in the number of sick patients on trolleys must be welcomed, particularly after the worst winter on record for ED overcrowding.
"Everyone must now re-affirm their commitment to implementing, on a 24/7 basis, the recent ED Agreement and continue to prioritise the crisis facing Emergency Departments in all decision making.
"The confusion that now exists, with regard to recruitment, must be removed so that we can attract back to Ireland the 4,000 Irish nurses and midwives needed to fill vacant posts and safely staff our services."