Infant died of asphyxia after becoming entangled in blind cord, inquest hears

Infant died of asphyxia after becoming entangled in blind cord, inquest hears

By Louise Roseingrave

A 17-month-old infant died of asphyxia after he became entangled in a blind cord. The child had been sleeping in a cot next to the window in an upstairs bedroom in a Dublin home.

The child was in the care of his grandmother at the time of the accident, shortly before Christmas 2016, an inquest heard.

His parents were working and the child had a usual routine to take a nap at 11am.

His grandmother had read to him and played with him and fed him a snack before placing him in his cot for a nap.

The cot was positioned near a window, next to the blind. The blind remained closed at all times, the court heard and the cord was never in sight. The room was located at the top of the stairs in the house and the child could clearly be heard from different locations within the house, the grandmother said.

She went about chores, cleaning the house and tidying. She conducted a number of checks on the child, listening from the door but not entering the room, she said. The grandmother was ‘listening out for him all the time, ever vigilant,’ throughout the duration of the child's nap, she said.

At 2.40pm she went to wake her grandchild and found him upright in his cot. A cord attached to the lining of the blind was wrapped around his neck. The child was in a grow bag but his face was cold, the court heard. The grandmother disentangled the child and rushed to contact emergency services. She conducted chest compressions on the child until emergency services arrived. The child’s parents arrived shortly after.

The blind was ‘always fully down’ over the window and the cord was completely out of sight, the grandmother told Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane.

“When I went into the room on this occasion the blind wasn’t flat against the window as it normally is,” she said.

The child was in an upright position to the right hand side of the window.

The little boy was pronounced dead at the scene and his parents wrapped him in blankets and sat holding him before he was transferred to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital in Crumlin for a post-mortem examination.

Professor Maureen O’Sullivan conducted the autopsy and gave the cause of death as asphyxia due to a lift cord attached to the rear of a Roman blind.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane returned a narrative verdict setting out the circumstances of the child’s death.

More on this topic

Transgender discrimination claim against The Times rejectedTransgender discrimination claim against The Times rejected

Garda Keith Harrison fails in bid to quash Disclosures Tribunal's findings against himGarda Keith Harrison fails in bid to quash Disclosures Tribunal's findings against him

Man arrested after returning to bank he had attempted to rob just hours earlierMan arrested after returning to bank he had attempted to rob just hours earlier

High court sets aside jail sentence for man who took 12,000 photos of neighbour without her knowledgeHigh court sets aside jail sentence for man who took 12,000 photos of neighbour without her knowledge

More in this Section

Contractors told they had two weeks to leave IrelandContractors told they had two weeks to leave Ireland

Man, 70s, dies after getting into difficulty swimming in Galway beachMan, 70s, dies after getting into difficulty swimming in Galway beach

Irish man dies after incident in New YorkIrish man dies after incident in New York

Portuguese fishing boat detained until €150k bond paidPortuguese fishing boat detained until €150k bond paid


Lifestyle

IF you are the parent of a child who is about to venture forth into the hallowed halls of Primary education, or ‘Big School’ as every Irish mammy refers to it since the dawn of time; well, chances are you’ve probably been very active in your Google searches looking for tips and advice on how to ease your child, and yourself, into this next chapter.Out of curiosity, I searched online for ‘Back to school advice’

More From The Irish Examiner