Heartbroken mother says house where sons were killed ‘needs to be knocked - their souls are trapped in there’

By Sarah Horgan

The mother of three young boys who lost their lives in a murder-suicide revealed she has moved from their old home following a number of requests by her for it to be demolished.

Helen O’Driscoll’s nine-year-old twin sons, Thomas and Paddy, were stabbed to death by their older brother Jonathan who later took his own life in the neighbouring town of Buttevant four years ago. The 21-year-old Charleville man had been suffering from serious mental health issues in the time leading up to their deaths.

Helen and her family later moved into a mobile home on the site while waiting to be rehoused. However, being so near to the scene of the tragedy proved too traumatic for Helen. As a result, she has relocated the family to a rented property close to their old home. She continues to pray for the day she can see the house destroyed and transformed into a shrine for her sons.

No family in their right mind would go into that house,” she said.

“It needs to be knocked so my boys can go to God. My kids died innocent but their souls are trapped in there. In my heart, I know that Jonathan’s soul is there too. He was found in Buttevant, but for me, Jonathan died the minute he hurt the boys. It wasn’t Jonathan who killed Paddy and Thomas, but mental illness.

“I wouldn’t like to see another family living in that house. I don’t think it would be very lucky for anyone. Seeing other children walk through that gate when ours are gone would break all our hearts. There is a piece of us still left in that house.”

Instead, Helen would like to see the site repurposed as a shrine to the boys and a showcase of local Traveller culture.

People still leave flowers and holy pictures. They always lift my heart I’m so thankful for these kind gestures.

If the house could be demolished, she said, they would be able to get rid of the bad memories and hold on to the good ones. “I would do it all myself if I had to.”

Helen spoke of how the delay in getting it knocked has split their family.

“They don’t know how much strain this is putting on our shoulders. My husband Thomas is up and down to me but he is still living in the mobile to watch over the house. That’s where his heart is. I had to take the other children away from there for the sake of their mental health. They were there that day and it wasn’t fair to have them looking at the house every day.”

She spoke of her desperate need for closure. “It was a tradition in the Travelling community that you burned the barrel-top wagon that the person died in. Thomas would never have done that with the house. He wanted to do things the right way, the legal way, but four years later it is still standing,” Helen said.

More on this topic

Tragic blind cord accident claims life of young Cork child

More in this Section

Wedding guest smeared his blood in cell

Man knocked unconscious and left in pool of blood

Careless driving jury urged to ‘put sympathy aside’

Man had 80,000 child porn images


A question of taste: Jessie Grimes

The Cat and the Fiddle: Gifted Irish violinist to join Vengerov in National Concert Hall

Changing their feathers: Male lead Swan Lake went from controversial to iconic

Learning Points: Pointless pursuit of perfection is consuming teens

More From The Irish Examiner