Former Fianna Fáil TD Joe Behan has said he is not satisfied with the changes to the over-70s medical-card scheme announced by the Taoiseach this morning.
Mr Behan resigned from the party last week following the Government's decision to remove the automatic medical-card entitlement from people over the age of 70.
Brian Cowen announced this morning that current holders of such cards will not have to undergo a means test and will instead be asked to voluntarily disclose their circumstances to the HSE.
He also announced a huge increase in the incoming thresholds for people seeking over-70s medical cards after January 1.
Despite the changes, Mr Behan says he remains disappointed and would like Mr Cowen to have scrapped the Budget measure altogether.