Dublin student dies after taking PMMA tablets in nightclub

A popular teenage girl, who is believed to have taken three pills on a night out, has passed away in hospital at 5.30pm this evening.

Ana Hick, aged 18, was with friends outside the Twisted Pepper nightclub in Dublin when she became ill and collapsed early on Saturday morning.

Ms Hick had a fit and heart attack after she was suspected of taking the tablets.

She was then taken to a nearby hospital where her condition deteriorated.

The pills Ana is suspected of taking are made of PMMA, a cheaper alternative to ecstasy.

Even though they still contain methamphetamine, the tablets are full of toxic chemicals which can be fatal.

Her heartbroken father is understood to have travelled back to Dublin from the United States to be with his daughter.

Ana was with four of her closest pals as she celebrated finishing her first year in college and was due to celebrate her 19th birthday in two days’ time.

Ana studied acting and film in the hope of breaking into the business. She also worked at Crunch Fitness in Dun Laoghaire.

The Twisted Pepper has released the following statement: Everyone at the Twisted Pepper is deeply saddened and devastated at the news of the sad passing of Ana Hick.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Ana’s family and friends at this tragic time.

We are working closely with the authorities and out of respect for Ana and her family we cannot comment further at this time.

More in this Section

Shivs and Shanks: Exhibition of improvised weapons goes on display on Spike Island

Prisons seek to ease fears over backlog of sex offenders for treatment programme

Cystic fibrosis patients call for new hospital facilities

Update: Body found in search for missing Ruth Maguire in Carlingford


Lifestyle

All set for summer with a ray of festivals and gigs to chose from

A growing awareness to grow, cook and eat

Making Cents: Making their day special without breaking the bank

More From The Irish Examiner