Dogs Trust warn pet owners of dangers of leaving Easter Eggs around the house

Dogs Trust is warning pet owners about the dangers of leaving Easter Eggs lying around.

Chocolate can be highly toxic for dogs and the charity says that it could be a recipe for disaster if they get their paws on it.

Dogs Trust says if any chocolate is missing and you suspect that your dog is the culprit, contact your vet straight away.

"While chocolate is a sweet treat that humans can enjoy, it is something dogs should never have," Dogs Trust Veterinary Surgeon, Desré Daly said.

"It is the theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, that can be toxic to dogs

"When a dog eats chocolate, the theobromine metabolizes more slowly than it does in humans. Theobromine interferes with the normal functioning of the central nervous system, heart and kidneys. Without appropriate and timely treatment, this could lead to death,” she added.

More on this topic

In pictures: Action-packed day at ‘Glastonbury for dogs’

Dogs Trust: Housing crisis is damaging dog ownership in Ireland

Dogs may mirror stress levels of owners – study

NHL offers awards for best ice hockey dogs of the year

More in this Section

'We must not repeat the mistakes of a decade ago': Government urged to protect vulnerable citizens after Brexit

Northern Ireland civil rights leader Ivan Cooper dies

Varadkar on SwingGate: 'Not the norm of any party' to publish internal party inquiry results

Sudden thunderstorm causes flooding in Killarney


Lifestyle

Review: Lauryn Hill proves she still has that thing

Darina Allen: A celebration of Irish produce

Gone to pot: Leading psychiatrist on the cannabis debate

Why London is the perfect hunting ground for antique lovers this month

More From The Irish Examiner