Date set for retrial of child minder accused of causing serious harm to baby

A date has been set for the retrial of a child-minder accused of causing serious harm to a baby.

Sandra Higgins (36), of The Beeches, Drumgola Wood, Cavan town, Co Cavan denies a charge of intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to the baby at her home on March 28, 2012 .

Judge Karen O'Connor at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court set a new trial date of January 15, 2018.

The jury in Ms Higgin's trial earlier this year were discharged after a juror accessed information on the internet.

The jury in an earlier trial in the case in 2015 failed to reach a verdict.

The court heard the trial is expected to last eight days.


Related Articles

Court hears Kerry farmer told gardai noise of crow banger prompted fatal attack on neighbour

Court hears how woman told gardaí she "sliced" civil servant "like you would a goat"

We will pray for you: Court hears how murder accused admitted to parents that he had killed a man

Family of boy with cerebral palsy awarded €9 million by High Court

More in this Section

€920,000 worth of drugs seized in Dublin

Irish writer Anna Burns wins Man Booker Prize

Cork City Council faces big legal bills over flood planning

Richard Bruton confirmed as Denis Naughton's replacement as Communications Minister


Breaking Stories

5 reasons why baking is good for your mental health

A master sommelier on everything you need to know about five of the most popular grapes

#Papoosegate: Why dads are doing the right thing by wearing a baby sling

Should we all be drinking cactus water now?

More From The Irish Examiner