Court issues bench warrant for alleged teenage mugger

A bench warrant was today issued for the arrest of a teenager who was allegedly videoed on a camera phone by his accomplice during a violent mugging of a 15-year-old boy.

The 16-year-old boy who had been on bail was due to appear in the Children’s Court today. A bench warrant had been issued for his arrest after he failed to attend his case earlier this month.

He was later given bail to appear again today after explaining that he had mixed up his dates.

Judge Bryan Smyth issued another bench warrant after the teenager failed to attend the case.

It was intended that an order was to be made sending the case for trial to the Circuit Court in relation to robberies which happened in January in Dublin city centre.

A date was also to be set for a separate book of evidence to be furnished in relation to the alleged videoed robbery of the 15-year-old boy on the grounds of Dublin City University, in Glasnevin, also on a date last January.

Previously it had been held that the cases were too serious to be retained in the Children’s Court and should be sent forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which can, subject to conviction, impose lengthier sentences.

Investigating Garda Fergal Finnegan, of Ballymun station had told the court last week it was alleged the defendant and his co-accused accused were in DCU in Glasnevin. He alleged the teen “assaulted the injured party who was punched a number of times in the face.”

He had also alleged that the teen’s co-accused “videoed the incident on a mobile phone.” Demands were made at which the victim handed over his mobile phone and €5.

The teen’s other cases which are to be sent forward for Circuit Court trial relate to robberies of two teenagers, in Temple Bar, on January 4 last, and on Grafton Street, a week later. He also faces a connected charge for assault causing harm.

In an outline of the allegations given earlier, Judge Smyth had heard a 14-year-old boy got lost while in Dublin on a family day trip and went into a McDonald’s takeaway.

“The accused approached and demanded that he hand over his wallet and mobile phone or else he would be hit. The injured party was in fear and handed over his property,” Garda Niall O’Reilly had said.

A week later the teen allegedly stole a mobile phone from 17-year-old boy who had been having a meal in a café.

The defendant “punched him on the side of the face” when the victim tried to take back his mobile phone.


More in this Section

Three arrested following Irish teen's death in AustraliaThree arrested following Irish teen's death in Australia

Around 98% of Covid-19 tests showing negative, says HSEAround 98% of Covid-19 tests showing negative, says HSE

Four deaths and 57 new cases associated with Covid-19 confirmedFour deaths and 57 new cases associated with Covid-19 confirmed

North reports one new Covid-19 death and 25 extra casesNorth reports one new Covid-19 death and 25 extra cases


Lifestyle

There is just one universally heard buzz word in the wine world these days and that is ‘sustainability’.Wine List: The top sustainable wines to buy right now

Esther N McCarthy finds funky fabric and Bantry baskets as well as exploring virtual galleries. Wish List: In pursuit of funky fabric and Bantry baskets

Pubs have been closed across this island for over two months. Can you imagine if they were closed for 14 years? To mark the centenary of the introduction of Prohibition in the US, Robert O'Shea selects examples of its cultural legacyWhat did Prohibition ever do for us?

Des O'Driscoll looks at some of the top picks on the TV today.TV highlights: A new 'make-under' dating show and Kevin McGahern paints celeb protraits

More From The Irish Examiner