Controversial €1.5m Stepaside garda station to re-open

Controversial €1.5m Stepaside garda station to re-open

The controversial Stepaside garda station championed by Transport Minister Shane Ross will re-open next summer - and cost the taxpayer at least €1.5m.

The Office of Public Works confirmed the plan in a detailed document on Thursday morning, despite ongoing questions over the need to re-open the facility and continuing opposition issues over why it was chosen for the move.

In a statement to the Dáil's public accounts committee, the OPW chair Maurice Buckley said last week on October 3 garda officials confirmed they have agreed to "refurbish" the controversial south Dublin station.

Citing the decision as "the most effective way from both a cost and time perspective", he said the garda estates office said as a result "it would be expected [Stepaside garda station] will be fully completed and operational by June 2019".

In a subsequent discussion with PAC members, Mr Buckley confirmed the likely cost of the project will be €1.5m, but did not give other costs for the re-opening of five other short-listed stations.

During the same discussion, Mr Buckley also confirmed the sale of 40 garda stations in recent years has brought in just over €3m for the exchequer.

The vast majority of the now sold stations are based in rural areas, many of which have been the subject of repeated and disputed concerns they are being left at risk of criminal gangs and burglaries without adequate garda protection.

More on this topic

Assaults on gardaí raise resource concernAssaults on gardaí raise resource concern

Nearly 500 gardaí have faced disciplinary action in less than three yearsNearly 500 gardaí have faced disciplinary action in less than three years

'Successful intervention' in 'potential threat to life incident': Two arrested and firearm seized in Dublin'Successful intervention' in 'potential threat to life incident': Two arrested and firearm seized in Dublin

Gardaí investigate attempted ATM theft in Co LouthGardaí investigate attempted ATM theft in Co Louth


More in this Section

Legal loophole for 70,000 drivers disqualified since 2012Legal loophole for 70,000 drivers disqualified since 2012

23-year-old man arrested following armed robbery in Cork city23-year-old man arrested following armed robbery in Cork city

Shooting the darkness: The Troubles in picturesShooting the darkness: The Troubles in pictures

Gardaí believe boy (16) was returning home from house party when struck by vehicleGardaí believe boy (16) was returning home from house party when struck by vehicle


Lifestyle

‘Children of the Troubles’ recounts the largely untold story of the lost boys and girls of Northern Ireland, and those who died south of the border, in Britain and as far afield as West Germany, writes Dan Buckley.Loss of lives that had barely begun

With Christmas Day six weeks away tomorrow, preparations are under way in earnest, writes Gráinne McGuinness.Making Cents: Bargains available on Black Friday but buyer beware!

From farming practices in Europe to forest clearances in the Amazon, Liz Bonnin’s new show seeks solutions to some of the damage done by the world’s appetite for meat, writes Gemma Dunn.New show seeks solutions to some of the damage done by the world’s appetite for meat

Louis Mulcahy reads in Cork this weekend for the Winter Warmer fest, writes Colette Sheridan.Wheel turns from pottery to poetry

More From The Irish Examiner