A 16-year-old boy arrested in connection with a gun and petrol bomb attack on a home in Dublin on Easter Sunday last had his prosecution struck out at the Children’s Court today.
The boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, had been charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act for reckless discharge of a firearm, on Easter Sunday, March 23 last, at Sheephill Green, in Blanchardstown in Dublin.
Judge Bryan Smyth acceded to an application from defence solicitor Michelle Finan to strike out the charge. The defence application was made due to a delay by the State in obtaining directions from the DPP.
The directions were being sought on whether the case was to be retained in the Children’s Court or instead be sent forward on indictment to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which can on conviction impose lengthier sentences.
Last month the case had been marked “peremptory against State” meaning it had until today for the directions to be obtained.
Earlier a garda had told the court. “It is a substantial file with over 150 statements.”
Until today, the boy had been on bail and had been ordered to obey a curfew to be in his homes between 9pm and 7am, to sign on three times a week at his local Garda station and to remain out of the Dublin 15 area
The curfew condition was relaxed for a date last month to allow him go to a debs ball.
In May he had been remanded in custody for behavioural, educational and psychological assessments to be carried out.
Previously the court had been told that the boy had been “seeing a therapist and had been going through some difficulties”.
Two co-defendants, boys aged 15 and 17, who were charged with possessing a petrol bomb with intent to cause criminal damage, had their cases struck out last month due to a delay in receiving directions from the DPP.