Irish Water returns to the top of the Cabinet agenda this morning.
Several Ministers have acknowledged that “mistakes have been” made in setting up the utility, and say they will be looking at ways to make the charge more affordable.
Taoiseach Enda Kenny was heckled by protesters as he arrived for a function in Galway yesterday, where he vowed that a new deal on water charges would be signed off “next week”.
He said he wants to draw a line under the confusion surrounding Irish Water, but says there is no hope of the charge being abandoned.
The key issue now for Cabinet is to work out an affordable regime.
Tánaiste Joan Burton last week suggested that a family of four would pay less than €200, but reports this morning suggest that may not be the case.
Environment Minister Alan Kelly met Irish Water officials yesterday as efforts to lower the charge continue, and is due to meet them later today.
Around 60 water protesters awaiting Enda Kenny's arrival at Radisson Galway. pic.twitter.com/CbcJrqCMkI— Lorraine Gallagher (@lorraineohanlon) November 10, 2014