Blockade continues at site of planned halting site for Carrickmines survivors

Blockade continues at site of planned halting site for Carrickmines survivors
A large digger is blocked on Rockville Drive, Co Dublin. Pictures: Rollingnews.ie

The blockade of an emergency site for survivors of the Carrickmines fire is continuing this evening.

Residents of the Rockview area met with council officials earlier to discuss their concerns about plans to move 15 people into a temporary halting site on a plot of land in the area for six months.

Residents of Rockville Drive, a cul-de-sac off Glenamuck Road in Carrickmines, say their hearts go out to the families of the 10 people who died in Saturday’s fire, but they added a temporary halting site would not be suitable on their cul de sac.

They also say they are concerned about the lack of discussion in selecting the site, after the council wrote to them yesterday informing them that work was to begin on the plot to accommodate survivors of the fire.

The council said it had used its emergency powers under the Housing Act to use the site for emergency accommodation, given the urgent need to provide accommodation for the fire survivors.

Blockade continues at site of planned halting site for Carrickmines survivors

The Southside Travellers Action Group appealed to the residents to have a change of heart at a time of bereavement.

Spokeswoman Geraldine Dunne said: "I would say to them to have a change of heart, (to) put their own issues aside for now and let these families get some normality back in their lives."

Co-director of Pavee Point Martin Collins urged the residents to reflect on their actions and "search deep inside their conscience".

He told RTE: "I think these small number of individuals in this estate are completely and utterly devoid of any humanity and any compassion and their actions are only compounding the stress and the trauma that these Traveller families are already enduring,"

After a three-hour meeting with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council this morning, the Carrickmines locals are still refusing to end their blockade, despite the Council’s commitment to decommission the emergency site after six months, instead of the eight it previously indicated.

However, local Labour Councillor Lettie McCarthy says residents simply do not trust the Council.

"When you no longer trust somebody no matter what they say, you don't believe them," she said. "This has accumulated over a number of years…It hasn’t just happened."

Cars remain parked in front of the site this evening as the stand-off continues. A council digger that had been in the area has departed.

Blockade continues at site of planned halting site for Carrickmines survivors

Another meeting between the council and the residents is expected to take place tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a vigil for the 10 victims of the fire will take place this evening at the site of the fire, beginning at 7.30pm.

More on this topic

There have been other fires since Carrickmines, says Irish Traveller MovementThere have been other fires since Carrickmines, says Irish Traveller Movement

Emotional scenes as inquest into death of 10 people in Carrickmines fire returns verdict of misadventureEmotional scenes as inquest into death of 10 people in Carrickmines fire returns verdict of misadventure

10 victims of Carrickmines fire died from carbon monoxide poisoning10 victims of Carrickmines fire died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Teen who rescued his nephew in Carrickmines fire 'extremely lucky' to survive, inquest hearsTeen who rescued his nephew in Carrickmines fire 'extremely lucky' to survive, inquest hears


More in this Section

Methadone patients four times more likely to overdose in month following treatment ending, study findsMethadone patients four times more likely to overdose in month following treatment ending, study finds

John Delaney joined as notice party to ODCE application in relation to seized FAI documentsJohn Delaney joined as notice party to ODCE application in relation to seized FAI documents

Court upholds decision to issue deportation order against man convicted of smuggling cocaineCourt upholds decision to issue deportation order against man convicted of smuggling cocaine

Gardaí warn public of 'banking' scam which can empty accounts in minutesGardaí warn public of 'banking' scam which can empty accounts in minutes


Lifestyle

Congrats to winners at the recent Georgina Campbell Irish Breakfast Awards.The Menu: Serving up the latest food news

The singer is no stranger to sporting an array of pastel nail polishes.7 times Harry Styles had the perfect manicure

Gareth Cotter-Stone explores the magical city on the west coast of Ireland.Why you should visit Galway, European Capital of Culture 2020

Our cat is recovering from a respiratory tract infection following treatment at a veterinary clinic. His energy levels are low.Natural health: My cat's energy levels are low

More From The Irish Examiner