A woman carried unconscious from a burning building is lucky to be alive, the fire service said today.
Firefighters using breathing apparatus rescued the victim from an upstairs bedroom in Moat Road, Ballymena, shortly before midnight.
A neighbour attempted to enter the blazing house but was forced back by fierce heat and smoke.
Fire service station commander Gary Davison said: “One of the neighbours reported the fire, they saved that lady’s life.”
When fire crews arrived the blaze was well developed. No fire alarm had been fitted.
The victim was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and was taken to Antrim Area Hospital.
Meanwhile, a fire has badly damaged Moyola Park football club in Castledawson, Co Derry.
None of the club’s memorabilia was lost, but the clubhouse was destroyed and officials at the long-established amateur team believe the fire was started deliberately.