Bail for brother of Irish soccer international facing driving charges

By Tom Tuite

A brother of Irish football star Wes Hoolahan appeared in court today charged with driving offences in Dublin and avoided being remanded in custody.

Darren Hoolahan, 28, was released on bail after he appeared before Judge Timothy Lucey on two charges under the Road Traffic Act.

Darren Hoolahan, 28, of Portland Row, Dublin 1, at court today. Picture: Courtpix

He was arrested for driving without insurance or a licence at Ossory Road, North Strand, Dublin on Feb. 11 last.

The younger brother of Norwich City star Wes was remanded on bail to appear again at Dublin District Court on March 14 next. He has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges which on conviction can result in a fine and a six-month sentence.

Gardai attempted to have his bail revoked in relation to other unrelated matters related to a case that is due to resume at Tallaght District Court in April.

Judge Lucey noted Garda evidence of breaches of a curfew condition and that the accused had not complied with a requirement to sign on at a garda station on 10 occasions.

However, resisting the application to rescind that bail bond, defence solicitor Yvonne Bambury asked the judge to note that her client had signed on at the garda station on 23 other dates.

Judge Lucey noted that the breach of curfew and the signing-on order had been admitted however he said that the accused’s bail would not be revoked.

The judge told him his bail was not being revoked but he warned him that if he did not comply with his bail terms “gardai will very quickly have you arrested” and by breaching the terms “you are just causing trouble for yourself”.

Mr Hoolahan spoke briefly during the hearing saying “yes” to confirm his signature on his bail bond.


Related Articles

Attacker who told victim 'if the cancer doesn't kill you, I will kill you' receives four-year jail term

Former Ireland midfielder Darron Gibson avoids jail term over second drink-drive offence

Rochdale issue life ban to Oldham fan following pitch invasion

Jury convicts three men over €2.28m tiger kidnapping case in 2005

More in this Section

Temperatures could reach mid-20s next weekend

Master of Rotunda restates controversial claim doctors' hands tied by 8th Amendment

Shane Ross announces details of independent review into search and rescue operations

Transport Minister says sector 'needs radical ideas'


Today's Stories

Kidnap suspect killed after a massive manhunt but victim is still missing

Olivia, 9, cannot get on waiting list for spinal surgery

Simon Coveney: Abortion law hard to know by year end

Taoiseach’s Offaly canvass greeted by quiet streets

Lifestyle

New father’s life ‘changed forever’ after he was run over by surgeon

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner