Baby Cormac died days after unexpected admission to hospital, inquest hears

A generic image of a baby's hand

Louise Roseingrave

The mother of a baby with a congenital heart condition had to park in a housing estate and run to the hospital to attend a vital appointment, an inquest heard.

Anne-Marie Lafferty travelled 230km from Lifford in Co Donegal but could not find parking at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital in Crumlin, Dublin. She ran with her baby to the hospital in a bid to attend an appointment with a heart specialist for her son, baby Cormac on September 6, 2016.

Baby Cormac died in hospital four days later.

The infant and his twin brother Callum were on June 16, 2016, at the National Maternity Hospital.

Baby Cormac had been diagnosed with a congenital heart condition before he was born. His condition was diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot, a combination of four related anomalies that commonly occur together.

He underwent open heart surgery one month prior to his unexpected admission to hospital on September 6, 2016. The infant was admitted the day of the appointment due to concerns over oxygen saturation levels.

He died in hospital four days later, Dublin Coroner’s Court heard. His mother said he was smiling and happy the night before he died.

"Cormac was laughing and smiling at me that night. He was a very alert baby, so full of life, always smiling. I fed him and went to bed. Before I left I saw he was sleeping peacefully,” Mrs Lafferty said.

She said she had no cause for concern leaving her baby.

A nurse woke the infant to feed him at 4am on September 10. However, the baby didn’t finish the feed and became unsettled and began ‘crying inconsolably,’ the nurse said.

Baby Cormac was found to be distressed by his own breathing efforts and morphine was administered to help him relax.

However, the infant’s condition deteriorated again suddenly at 6.20am when his oxygen saturation levels dropped to 20%.

An emergency arrest call was made and cardio-pulmonary compressions commenced. Efforts to save Baby Cormac’s life failed and he died shortly before noon.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane adjourned the inquest to hear further medical evidence from a number of medical witnesses on a date to be decided.

More on this topic

Inquest hears asylum seeker forced to take bus from Cork to Dublin for treatment in last weeks of life

Cork Prison staff disciplined after CCTV disproves records that inmate was checked every 15 mins before he died

'You wouldn’t treat vermin like that': Inquest hears family of man who died of hypothermia unhappy at his treatment

Families of Ballymurphy victims ‘just want money’, claims ex-Army medic

More in this Section

Country set for continued warm weather over Bank Holiday weekend

PSNI appeal for mobile phone footage following killing of Lyra McKee by 'new breed of terrorist'

President Higgins to lead 1916 commemoration ceremony in Dublin

Gardaí appeal for witnesses following assault on cyclist


Video: This chocolate facial is the perfect Easter-themed pampering

The Menu: Food news with Joe McNamee

Restaurant Review: Circa Restaurant, 90 Terenure Road North, Dublin 6w

Co-ops are good for our mental health and our community

More From The Irish Examiner