A teenager who was allegedly videoed on a camera phone by his accomplice during a violent mugging of a 15-year-old boy was remanded on conditional bail today pending the preparation of a book of evidence.
A bench warrant had been issued for the 16-year-old boy’s arrest last week when he failed to appear in the Children’s Court. It had been intended that a date was to be set for him to be returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court over three alleged robberies.
Judge Bryan Smyth heard yesterday that the boy, who is taking part in a training course, had missed his court case because he had mixed up dates. On learning that a bench warrant had been issued he arranged with gardaí to have to have it executed and to be brought before the court today.
Judge Smyth remanded the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother on conditional bail which included an 8pm-6am curfew to appear again next week.
Previously it had been held that the cases were too serious to be retained in the Children’s Court and should be sent forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which can, subject to conviction, impose lengthier sentences.
The court had heard previously that he has been charged relation to an alleged videoed robbery of a 15-year-old boy on the grounds of Dublin City University, in Glasnevin, last January.
Investigating garda Fergal Finnegan, of Ballymun station, had told the court earlier that it was alleged the defendant and his co-accused accused were in DCU in Glasnevin. He alleged the teen “assaulted the injured party who was punched a number of times in the face”.
He had also alleged that the teen’s co-accused “videoed the incident on a mobile phone”. Demands were made, at which the victim handed over his mobile phone and €5.
The teen’s other cases which are to be sent forward for Circuit Court trial relate to alleged robberies of two teenagers, in Temple Bar, on January 4 last, and on Grafton Street, a week later. He also faces a connected charge for assault causing harm.
In an outline of the allegations given earlier, Judge Smyth had heard a 14-year-old boy got lost while in Dublin on a family day trip and went into a McDonald’s takeaway.
“The accused approached and demanded that he hand over his wallet and mobile phone or else he would be hit. The injured party was in fear and handed over his property,” garda Niall O’Reilly had said.
A week later the teen allegedly stole a mobile phone from 17-year-old boy who had been having a meal in a café. The defendant “punched him on the side of the face” when the victim tried to take back his mobile phone.