A 57-year-old man awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a seven-year-old boy has had his bail revoked after he allegedly since tried to abduct a child and on a separate occasion exposed himself at a playground.
The man will be sentenced in October at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court after he pleaded guilty to assaulting the boy in St Peters Church in Phibsboro on January 12 2006.
The man, who lives in Dublin, had previously been granted bail prior to sentencing but this was revoked after a garda testified she believed he has been involved in two further offences involving children.
Garda Riognach O'Sullivan told prosecuting council, Mr Vincent Heneghan BL that a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions alleging that on June 6 last the man tried to abduct and sexually assault a six-year-old child who was playing on a footpath in South Dublin.
He allegedly attempted to drag the boy away but was interrupted by a passer-by who told him to leave the child alone.
Garda O'Sullivan also said on September 5 at 3.10pm the man was in a South Dublin park opposite a school. She said gardaí were alerted and they observed him standing in front of the children's playground with no trousers or underwear and his coat held open.
Gardaí have since charged him with public order offences in relation to the incident and he was granted bail in the District Court. Mr Heneghan applied for the revocation of bail because "there is a reasonable fear he will commit further serious offences."
Defence counsel, Mr Michael Bowman BL, said his client was the sole carer for his 84-year-old sister with whom he lived. He said he had a alcohol problem which contributed to the original offence and if he was jailed it would make it more difficult for him to receive psychological treatment.
Judge Terrence O'Sullivan noted the man had a right to the presumption of innocence on the recent charges but said he "ought to revoke bail to prevent the commission of more serious offences".