16-year-old to face trial for assault in 'Bebo' row

A 16-year-old boy will face trial for attacking a teenager who was stabbed and beaten with knuckle-dusters over comments made about a girl on a Bebo webpage, a judge held today.

The boy has been charged at the Children’s Court with assault causing harm to the teenage boy, at Ringsend Park, in south Dublin, on March 9 last. He also faces connected charges for theft of two mobile phones.

Judge Patrick McMahon was told that the row stemmed from comments posted on the internet on Bebo, a social networking website popular with teenagers.

It was alleged the defendant and another youth, who also faces prosecution, met the boy, believing he made threats and posted a message online saying “stay away from this girl.”

The fight took place at a basketball court and it was alleged the boy was hit by the defendant who was armed with a knuckle-duster, a hand-worn weapon.

It was also alleged he was stabbed by the second youth and suffered superficial wounds to his shoulder.

A file on the teen had been sent the Director of Public Prosecutions who recommended that the case should be sent forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which on conviction can impose lengthier sentences.

However, defence solicitor Michelle Finan pleaded with the Children’s Court to retain jurisdiction for the case and not to send it forward.

She said the south Dublin teen, who was accompanied to court by his parents, had never been in trouble before. The incident started out as a normal row about a girl and ended up in this “appalling situation” which had not been envisaged.

She said he had no previous convictions and hoped to start begin a career soon.

Judge Patrick McMahon refused jurisdiction saying he noted that a knife and knuckle-dusters had been used in the alleged assault.

He held the case was too serious to be retained in the Children’s Court and ordered that it should go forward to the Circuit Court.

The teenager was remanded on bail to appear again next month when he, along with a co-defendant, is to be served with the book of evidence.

Prosecuting Garda Allen Farrell said the victim’s mother did not want compensation from the defendant’s parents or for the boy to be let off with a “slap on the wrist.”


More in this Section

Cold weather warning issued for majority of the countryCold weather warning issued for majority of the country

Woman, 40s, dies following crash in Co DownWoman, 40s, dies following crash in Co Down

Two arrested in relation to eight burglaries in Limerick and TipperaryTwo arrested in relation to eight burglaries in Limerick and Tipperary

Search operation underway in Cork after reports of car entering riverSearch operation underway in Cork after reports of car entering river


Lifestyle

The actor knows how to impress when it comes to high profile events.6 times Katie Holmes wowed on the red carpet

Glamour, fun and feathers all feature in this year’s hottest looks – but first and foremost, individual style rules.10 on-trend ways to transform your home in 2020

Abi Jackson shares the enduring appeal of Pooh Bear’s wisdom on Winnie-the-Pooh Day – author A.A. Milne’s birthday.Winnie-the-Pooh Day: The wellbeing lessons we can learn from Pooh Bear

We asked three experts for the low-down on shampooing frequency.How often should you really wash your hair?

More From The Irish Examiner