A chart-topping release by heavy rockers Iron Maiden has been named the greatest album of the past 60 years.
The group's third LP 'The Number Of The Beast' topped a month-long Jubilee poll to find the greatest releases during the Queen's reign.
The ever-popular Beatles claimed more than a fifth of the votes in the survey by retailer HMV with four titles in the top 10.
The Fab Four's highest entry was the group's biggest seller, 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club', at number three.
More than 30,000 votes were cast using social media.
Adele's '21' is the only album which is still in the current official UK chart top 10 to make it into the upper reaches of the list.
Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side of the Moon' - chosen by British Prime Minister David Cameron when he cast a vote - was ranked fifth.
Iron Maiden's loyal fanbase was clearly mobilised in the voting as the band's winning album took more than 9% of all the votes.
'The Number Of The Beast' has sold more than 14 million copies worldwide and features hits such as 'Run To The Hills'.
It also marked the debut of singer Bruce Dickinson, who was delighted by the band's poll success: "We're astonished and delighted to hear 'The Number of the Beast' has been named number one in HMV's Diamond Jubilee survey for the greatest British album.
"Some of the most influential and classic albums from the past 60 years were in the running so it's a testament to our incredibly loyal and ever-supportive fans who voted for us."
Electronic band Depeche Mode were runners-up in the list with 'Violator'.
The 1990s proved to be the most popular decade for music, with 18 albums from the period making the top 60, while the 1970s provided 15.
HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo said: "The Queen has presided over the richest period of cultural achievement in our nation's history, so it's only right that her Diamond Jubilee, which also encapsulates 60 years of the official charts, should be a period when we reflect on the greatest British albums and films of the past six decades."
1. Iron Maiden - 'The Number of the Beast'
2. Depeche Mode - 'Violator'
3. The Beatles - 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
4. The Beatles - 'Abbey Road'
5. Pink Floyd - 'The Dark Side of the Moon'
6. The Beatles - 'Revolver'
7. Queen - 'A Night at the Opera'
8. Oasis - '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?'
9. Adele - '21'
10. The Beatles - 'White Album'
11. Led Zeppelin - 'IV'
12. The Beatles - 'Rubber Soul'
13. The Clash - 'London Calling'
14. David Bowie - 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars'
15. The Smiths - 'The Queen is Dead'
16. Black Sabbath - 'Black Sabbath'
17. Radiohead - 'OK Computer'
18. Pink Floyd - 'Wish You Were Here'
19. Elton John - 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
20. Oasis - 'Definitely Maybe'