Mila Kunis: Producer threatened me when I wouldn't pose semi-naked

Actress Mila Kunis has claimed a film producer threatened to end her career after she refused to pose half-naked for a men’s magazine.

The Hollywood star said the unnamed producer told her “You’ll never work in this town again” when she declined to take part in the provocative photo shoot for a movie being promoting.

In an open letter published on A Plus, a website co-founded by her husband Ashton Kutcher, Mila said she was “livid” and felt “objectified” following the incident and voiced concerns about gender inequality in the workplace.

She wrote: “Throughout my career, there have been moments when I have been insulted, sidelined, paid less, creatively ignored, and otherwise diminished based on my gender.

“I taught myself that to succeed as a woman in this industry I had to play by the rules of the boys’ club. But the older I got and the longer I worked in this industry, the more I realised that it’s bullshit! And, worse, that I was complicit in allowing it to happen.”

Mila, 33, referred to another incident after she formed a production company with three women, in which an “influential male producer” described her as “soon to be Ashton’s wife and baby momma” during a discussion about a possible work project.

The Black Swan star wrote: “He reduced my value to nothing more than my relationship to a successful man and my ability to bear children.

“It ignored my (and my team’s) significant creative and logistical contributions. We withdrew our involvement in the project.”

Mila said she vowed to stand up to sexist comments, adding: “I’m done compromising; even more so, I’m done with being compromised.

“So from this point forward, when I am confronted with one of these comments, subtle or overt, I will address them head on; I will stop in the moment and do my best to educate.

“If this is happening to me, it is happening more aggressively to women everywhere.”

Mila and Ashton, who married in July last year, are expecting their second child after the birth of their daughter Wyatt Isabelle in October 2014.

More in this Section

Michael Ball: The theatre industry feels ‘forgotten’ in the pandemicMichael Ball: The theatre industry feels ‘forgotten’ in the pandemic

Mission: Impossible filming to resume in UK under quarantine exemption plansMission: Impossible filming to resume in UK under quarantine exemption plans

Dermot O’Leary reveals baby son’s nameDermot O’Leary reveals baby son’s name

Tributes paid to screen ‘legend’ Earl CameronTributes paid to screen ‘legend’ Earl Cameron


Lifestyle

On June 26, we sat outside the first bar to open here since lockdown began on March 15. There are only two bars in the valley. Cafes serve drinks, but these are bar-bars, the kind that stay open after midnight.Damien Enright: Fruit trees are laden with their bounty as we prepare to leave

In October 1986, 52 mute swans, living peacefully on the Tolka in Dublin, were drenched in diesel oil accidentally released into the river. Swan-catchers went into action; only one bird died before they reached it.Richard Collins: Human crisis will offer chance for wild animal research

It's a typically Irish summer’s day of sunshine and occasional showers. Travel restrictions have been eased again and we venture forth to one of nature’s gems, Gougane Barra, deep in the mountains of West Cork.Donal Hickey: Gougane Barra has peace and wildness

When the ferryman pulls away from the pier and the salty spray of the sea hits your face the feeling of release from the mainland is deeply pleasurable. Your island awaits. Whether for a day trip or a holiday, the lure of the islands is as magnetic as ever.The Islands of Ireland: The lure of the less-visited

More From The Irish Examiner