Lindsay Lohan has described claims that her car grazed a man’s knee outside a Hollywood nightclub as “a complete lie”.
Lohan went straight to her three million Twitter followers to respond to the latest in a long line of car-related woes for the 'Mean Girls' actress and recent 'Saturday Night Live' host.
“This is all a complete lie. I’ve been at community service,” Lohan tweeted on her official account. “These false accusations are absurd.”
According to police, Lohan’s black Porsche was surrounded by paparazzi outside the club at about 12.30am yesterday. The man told officers her sports car grazed his knee outside the club.
Lohan drove off and a police report was not taken because the man, an employee of the Hookah Lounge near the club, was not hurt, Sgt Mark Ro of Los Angeles police said.
The 25-year-old starlet was trying to make a U-turn outside the Wilcox Avenue club.
“Space was tight,” the sergeant said, adding that Lohan may have nudged the lounge employee’s parked car, believed to be a Corvette, but it was not damaged.
“He came out and said, ’Don’t hit my car’,” Sgt Ro said. “She was making a multi-point U-turn and photographers were in her way.”
The sergeant said he did not know who called police, but Lohan was gone when officers arrived.
“We did not take a report for hit-and-run,” Sgt Ro said. “We didn’t go looking for her.”
TMZ.com first reported the incident.
Lohan and her publicist Steve Honig said she was trying to get to a friend’s birthday party at the club, but she turned around when she was mobbed by photographers and never got out of her car.
“I attempted to wish a friend happy birthday, which I didn’t even get to do because I was freaked out by all of the paparazzi,” Lohan said on Twitter.
Mr Honig said she and her Porsche did not make contact with anyone as she left.
“At no point was there ever any indication that her car hit anyone or anything,” he said in a statement. “We are confident this matter will be cleared up in the next few days.”
A phone message was left at the Hookah Lounge several hours before it opened, seeking comment from the man who was allegedly grazed. The call was not immediately returned.
Lohan has a history of bad luck with cars.
A woman claimed in a January lawsuit that she was struck by Lohan’s Maserati while walking across a West Hollywood intersection in September 2010. Nubia Del Carmen Preza’s lawsuit said she has suffered “disabling and serious personal injuries, pain, suffering and anguish”.
Photographer Grigor Balyan also sued Lohan in January, claiming he was struck by a vehicle in which Lohan was travelling in January 2010.
During a court hearing last month, a judge praised Lohan on her progress in a long-running drink-driving case.
The former Disney star has been under strict probation guidelines imposed last year, including therapy sessions and weekly stints working at a mortuary.
Lohan still had to complete 14 days of work at the mortuary and attend five therapy sessions before the judge ends her probation on the 2007 drunken driving case.
She is due back in court on March 29 for what could be her final court appearance if she stays out of trouble.
Lohan would remain on informal probation for a case filed after she took a necklace without permission in January 2011, but she would no longer have to report to a probation officer or appear in court for frequent updates.