Paul Hollywood announced that he will be sticking with The Great British Bake Off as the show moves from the BBC to Channel 4, as his co-judge Mary Berry revealed that she would not be.
In his official statement – released moments after Mary’s – he failed to mention her, although he referenced the show’s presenters Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc.
The TV cook has now released an additional statement to confirm that he was unaware of his colleague’s choice to leave the programme, and that he will “miss her”.
He said: “When I spoke about my news earlier on, I did not know what Mary was saying about her decision, and more importantly had not been able to speak to her.
“Let there be no doubt: I have loved every minute of my time working with Mary. I have learned so much from her and we are great friends inside and outside the tent.
I'm staying in the tent with the bakers where I belong. I want to thank Mary. I'll miss her but she has made the right decision for her.— Paul Hollywood (@PaulHollywood) September 22, 2016
“That will not change. Knowing her as well as I do, I am sure she has made the right decision for her. I will miss her.”
In his original statement, he said that he could not turn his back on Bake Off.
Mary said in her statement that her “decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them”.
Paul is the only remaining star of Bake Off to be going to the show when it switches channels next year.